Friday, June 10, 2011

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1)The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
(The Hunger Games #1)
Published October 1st 2008 by Scholastic Audio Books
Audio CD
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I know I know, everybody has been anxiously waiting to know what I think of The Hunger Games, it's the reason so few have read it, you're all going around saying "No I'm going to wait for Diana to give her review, that way I'll be sure." 
Nice little world I live in right?

Of course I'm one of the last people to read The Hunger Games, I technically didn't even read it since it was an audio book. By the time I discovered it everyone was very obsessed with the first two and the third was just about to come out, so really this review is mostly for me. I shouldn't even consider it a review since well I'm not reviewing. Plus I decided to wait a while to write but then I never got to it so ended up waiting a little to long, now I'm not sure what to say.

I've never been one to follow the crowds, never read Harry Potter or Twilight. I was ready to add this to that list but I felt like everyone was throwing it at me. I got is as a free audiobook, if that's not throwing it at me I don't know what is.
I'm not going to say that I didn't enjoyed it, and I'm genuinely glad I gave it a chance. But (of course there's a but) I don't know why I just didn't care to finish it.
I was hoping that as soon as I did finish I would realize why, but no. I started wondering that maybe subconsciously I had gotten so attached to the characters that I didn't want it to end, especially if something bad was going to happen. But that wasn't it, seeing as how I was fully aware that it was only book one of the trilogy. Knowing that there's more to the story has completely ruined any suspense for me.
The only logical reason I can come up with is that I might have been afraid of falling in love with the book and joining the millions of other loyal fans.
Not that that would be such a bad thing, I'm already obsessed with anything connected to the movie.

After I finished I had the sudden urge to make certain hand gestures, that might just have meant that as I talked about the story I wanted to move my hands (somewhat rapidly) around even if it didn't really mean anything. It was probably just to burn off a lot of energy that I was feeling. Truthfully I don't know if it was because I'd been like that all day or the story left me that way.
Good stories usually leave me feeling that way.
It took me ten minutes to come up with anything to say about it which is pretty much as good a complement I can give.

Now for the un-complements (I really don't know what word to use): It's an audio version and I can't say how long it took me to get past the creepy music at the beginning and the hollowness of Carolyn McCormick's voice. Actually I can, I haven't gotten past either of those. But after a while I did start liking the narration, although I'm still not sure if certain characters really were that annoying or just the way she portrayed them. She was pretty good at capturing the emotions a lot of the time, a few felt like she wasn't really trying very hard.

I wasn't in much of a rush to read (or listen to) the book so I can't say when I'll ever get to the next two, knowing me it'll probably be a while after the movie comes out, and maybe a couple of spin-off books that everyone will be talking about will be published by then. I've never read a hugely popular book I'm not used to being so up to date with everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment