Sunday, June 5, 2011

What I'm Reading this Week

A few months ago I went a little book crazy, and pretty much filled up my bookshelves with "new" used books. I actually started feeling bad for the mailman since he had to deliver most when it was pouring rain, I even wondered if he was going to start hating my house.
It didn't take me too long to become overwhelmed with so many books, I usually go to the bookstore once a month or just buy them on my nook, I can't remember the last time I did either of those.

So I've been working on those not to mention a couple I've won in giveaways; and have finally made it to 6 left. I'm currently reading four books so the progress isn't going that fast. One book was given to me by someone moving across the country, she didn't want to pay to take them so she gave them to me to do whatever I wanted with them. It's a book that I had seen in the store and might have been interested in but never actually considered buying.
The second is an ACR that I wanted to read because I've been obsessed with it's genre and setting this year. The third is a collection of "short" stories by the Master of Horrors (at least I think that's him). And the fourth is actually an audio book which I started just to have something to listen to while I worked, it's highly popular and I've been all but forced to read it.

1) PompeiiPompeii by Robert Harris
Published November 18th 2003 by Random House
Hardcover, 278 pages
Date Started: April 14, 2011

Yeah it's been almost two months but I have a good reason for that, I gave up last month. I just couldn't stand the characters. I tried to picture the main character as Orlando Bloom since he was supposed to play him in the movie but I couldn't do it. I like Orlando and well this character wasn't very well developed, I saw him kind of like a confused jerk. And I don't have anything to base my opinion on but I really don't think that people in ancient Rome acted that way, again no real evidence to prove it.
Like I said someone gave this to me in a box of books, and it was the only one I kept because I remember seeing it and being interested. That interest might have actually been the cause of my having gone to Pompeii because if that trip had never happened I doubt that I would know about it now. 
I'm on page 101 but that was with some skimming which I really don't like to do, I would like to try and finish it mostly because I hate quitting.
STATUS UPDATE:
04/22 Page 62 "kept getting distracted by Doctor Who"

2) Daughters of RomeDaughters of Rome by Kate Quinn
Published April 5th 2011 by Berkley Trade
ARC, 364 pages
Date Started: May 4, 2011

This is a ARC but it wasn't given to me for reviewing purposes, well I'm sure it was but I mean a review for this blog so I don't really have a deadline on it since it was mostly a giveaway.
One of my favorite reads this year was Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran, since then I've been all over anything related to Cleopatra or Ancient Rome so this seemed to fit with the latter. I didn't want to start reading while still trying with Pompeii but I couldn't resist, plus I was hoping this would be much better. I tend to favor women, both characters and authors.
It isn't very fast paced, and the cousins well they act like normal women they argue, sometimes despised each other but always remember that they are family.
Recently made it to page 184 before I decided to take a quick break.
STATUS UPDATE:
05/26 Page 140 " "I'm going to say the same thing I was thinking during The Hunger Games: "Shut up and kill each other already!" It's not bad just slow."

3) Four Past MidnightFour Past Midnight by Stephen King
Published March 2nd 2004 by Signet
Paperback, 768 pages
Date Started: June 1, 2011

Is Stephen King the "Master of Horrors"? Or is it suspense? Or did I just make that up?
I really don't know, it's my first King novel.
Not much to say about this one since I just started, but I can say that they shouldn't be considered as short stories since most push 200+. I don't think they're even novellas as the book calls them, I always thought those were less than 100.

4) The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1)The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Published October 1st 2008 by Scholastic Audio Books
Audio CD
Date Started: November 17, 2010

Yes all but forced to read it, and honestly the only reason I considered it was because I got it free. I've never been one to follow the crowds, never read Harry Potter or Twilight. I was ready to add this one to that list  but I felt like everyone was throwing it at me. Free audiobook really? But that might be because I've become more active in the online book communities.
I'm not going to say that I haven't enjoyed is so far, and I am glad I gave it a chance. But (of course there's a but) I don't know why I just don't care to finish it.
To tell the whole story of that November start date I listened to it for a couple of days while I did some filing for someone of course I didn't expect to finish so quickly so I only made it a few chapters in before I stopped. Over time other things came up and I just forgot about it until recently so I've only been listening for about two weeks. I'm pretty much done with it but there's no real hurry to it. I know that as soon as I finish I'm most definitely going to want the next in the trilogy, but again I can't exactly explain why I'm stalling.
Maybe I'll figure it out when I finish.
STATUS UPDATE:
5/24  This isn't good; not the book my feeling towards the book, although I guess a million people can't be wrong."


That's what I'm reading (or at least trying) this week; hopefully one of them will get to page turning excitement sooner than later.

2 comments:

  1. I love getting books in the mail! I live for when the mail ninja cometh. I'm also reading several books at once. It doesn't help that I'm such a slow reader but I can't help it. There are SO many books I want to read and I can't keep my mits off of them. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is a great moment when you get a new book in the mail, it's definitely something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete