Tuesday, June 14, 2011

What's In Your Beach Bag?

Summer time, going to the beach, sitting around watching the waves (and if you're like me maybe checking out some surfers, it's alright you don't have to admit to it.) Or if you don't live near any beaches maybe you'll go to the lake or pool. Whatever works for you, either way they'll most likely be a book or two in our beach bags, and hopefully a lot of sunscreen, although you should really put that on before going out.

As for me I'll actually be doing most of my reading in the backyard, there's no pool but it's quiet. I'm not that big a fan of water so I try to avoid it, I'm like the Wicked Witch from the Wizard of Oz. Or for those of you who've read or seen Wicked you'll know her as Elphaba.
Anyway quietly in the backyard works for me since I'm easily distracted and can never really read in public, also the people I go to the beach with don't help, not to mention the surfers.
Wherever you'll be reading this Summer; Kelly at Reading with Martinis and Jeannie at Life Is Short, Read Fast are hosting a link-up party to celebrate summer and all the books we plan on reading. Head over to one of their blogs for all the details. There are some giveaways too, so don't miss out.

For me this is basically a Summer version of What I'm Reading This Week, and I'm actually going to split it up, one for the books I actually own to read this Summer, and another for books I'd like to read.

Normally when I was in high school I had the tradition of rereading Meg Cabot's 1-800 Where-R-U and The Mediator series every year, then throw in anything else I could get. I'd actually like to do that again if I get the chance, it's been awhile since I've read either of those series.

But waiting for me this year is:
Thief of Hearts (Body of Evidence, #2)The rest of the Body of Evidence series by Christopher Golden.
I know when I finished the first I may have made kind of a huge deal about not being able to find the rest of the series but I ended up getting really lucky and am now set for the next four in the series.


Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)

Now there's a story behind this one, and it strangely starts with my love of '60s sitcoms. I love I Dream of Jeannie, and a couple of years ago found a channel that showed it at night. What better way to end a long day than with a few classic laughs, really those shows never get old. So during a commercial for shows coming in the next season, I saw a really quick picture of a sword. Just a sword, with the title Legend of the Seeker, my love for swords might be greater than my love for '60s sitcoms. I had no idea what the show was about but I knew that I had to watch it. So I did, and it turned out to be something that I can't even explain why I like it as much as I did.
It had everything: a pretty cute hero, awesome female counterpart, a wizard, and an evil elf from the Lord of the Rings. (*Just for the record he wasn't an elf in the show, nor was he evil in the movies). 
I wasn't planning on reading the book, since I don't normally read books because of movies but sadly the second season ended the series, leaving me with only one choice for more Richard and Kahlan. Aside from the DVDs.

The Crystal Cave (Arthurian Saga, #1)The Crystal Cave (Arthurian Sage #1) by Mary Stewart
What's a love of swords without a little King Arthur? Now my love for anything medieval related is most likely the cause for my love of swords, or vice versa I really can't remember anymore. But when it comes to Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table I'm a total kid and can't resist. One of my biggest book regrets actually is giving my cousin my copy of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, I know it's good to pass books along but I've seen how they care for books, and it hurts a little.
I don't remember where I got the recommendation for this book since it was a while back but I figured it's time to give it a try.
 
Alex Cross's Trial (Alex Cross, #15)
This was a giveaway win, so thanks go out to Beverly at The Wormhole, for this one. It'll be my first James Patterson novel. I read the first chapter or so of Along Came A Spider in school, but never got to finish since it was our forced reading time during PE and we pretty much had to fight for any book that wasn't too beaten. It was kind of like the beginning of the Hunger Games where everyone is killing each other for supplies. 
Really reading time in PE, whose bright idea was that? Everyday of that I told myself I should have joined the yoga class, but then I'd go with my pretty awesome friends and forget all about that.


A Pointed DeathA Pointed Death by Kath Russel
Another giveaway win, I've been really lucky this year, thanks to Babs at The World of Book Reviews (now Babs Book Bistro).
I've really been into mystery books lately so I can't wait to get to it.




This is just to mix it up so it's not all contemporary. And island sounds tropical.

2 comments:

  1. Nice list! Thanks so much for joining What's In Your Beach Bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have wanted to pick up a James Patterson book for awhile but haven't got around to it. I am going to bump that up on my list!

    ReplyDelete