Thursday, August 18, 2011

Book Trailer Thursday: The Karma Club

Every Thursday we (all who wish to join and the host Quillcafe) welcome everyone to join us in celebrating the awesomeness that is book trailers.

To participate, on a Thursday you post an entry in your blog with an embedded book trailer of your choice (note: the trailer can be fan made but please no movie trailers of book adaptations) with your thoughts and comments underneath. It can be a book you have read, want to read or have never even come across before.

It's been about a month since I've posted one of these but hopefully I can get back to my regular postings like I've been trying.

This week I've chosen the trailer for The Karma Club by Jessica Brody.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone saw this and believed it was for a movie. Alright I'll admit halfway through I actually started thinking that. It's so long and plays out like a movie trailer, although I guess long works because like most movie trailers I kind of hated it and had no interest in reading the book but by the end I was about ready to add it to my to-read list.
Then I saw the cover for the ebook:

Karma Club
What is it yoga for beginners?
I actually took a yoga book from my dad, almost to the day, last year... haven't opened it since. Every once in awhile I'll wake up sore in the middle of the night with it taunting me. "You should have stretched. You're not getting any healthier sitting around reading books about girls doing yoga."

But enough about what keeps me up at night. I was a little iffy about it being played out by actors, I'm mostly used to pictures or silent portrayals with music or maybe a voice-over. I tried really hard not to see it as a bad student film, (just so you know I'm a former film student so I think all student films are kind of bad. Including my own, although I do tend to get a little cocky when it comes to my editing and "documentaries."). But like I said once I got past that I actually started looking forward to the movie.
Then I had to remind myself "It's not a movie!
At least not yet. I'm not sure what I mean by that since I haven't read the book yet, maybe it shouldn't be made into a movie, but for awhile in high school I started noticing that every book I read soon was considered for a movie. Now that I think of it I can only come up with maybe two.
When you're 16, huh?

When I was 16 I probably would have loved this book, especially since it was recommended to me because I'm a Meg Cabot fan. I'll consider it but I'm not completely sure since I'm trying to avoid certain young adult novels, mostly the non-fantasy semi-real problem ones. Anyone willing to give a recommendation for it?

Although I have to thank the trailer for making me want to read a realistic young adult book even more for making me want to see a movie about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment