Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Septavalent Stone

I have to apologize to this book and it's author, not for what I'm about to say, but for waiting a while to write this. It's a constant mistake I make after I finish with a book I take some time to process it, maybe eat, take a shower or if I finish it at night I'll even sleep on it and write my review in the morning.
This I'm pretty sure I finished in the evening, which means I could have written it all in the same day.

What happened?
HAIRSPRAY at the Hollywood Bowl.
Everything from the day before and about 4 or 5 days after is kind of a blur.
Well except most of the comments I made about the Jonas Brothers and John Stamos, I was actually planning on posting about it but was afraid it would just be me gushing.

So I'm sorry for mixing you in with my Hairspray buzz.

But I'm back now (more than I was last week anyway), so with out further delay:


Mrs. Ugabi never told Andrew that she was a renowned witch or that his uncle was a retired magical salesman who traded contraband dark magical objects. If she had, he would have known that:

  1. Travelling to his uncle's house to stay for a few weeks was a bad idea, and,
  2. Forgetting to search his box before leaving the house in case anything sinister found its way into it was also a bad idea. Instead, Andrew has to learn about his uncle the hard way as strange things begin to happen around him. As the medicomagical schools in Africa grow worse academically, Andrew transfers to Norgads University in Ukraine where a group of fellow nephews-and-kids of mystic parentage have mysteriously convened, unaware that he holds, in his box, an ancient relic that belongs to a very powerful being called an elder.

       But just when he thinks he can settle down and finally study, he discovers the stone, and to make matters worse, his cousin, the wild and unpredictable Aloysia, arrives on her father's orders to retrieve it. With a second war threatening to repeat itself between the two families, and the power of the stone causing the school cadavers to arise and attack the students, Andrew and Aloysia must put aside all differences, and team up to solve the mystery behind the stone which leads him to learn lesson number three:
      3.      There are some situations that two enemies cannot pass through together without becoming best friends.

The Septavalent Stone is a young adult fantasy novel which I'm sure will be a hit with readers of the genre. As for me overall I couldn't get very comfortable with it. It actually wasn't that hard to connect with the characters but something wouldn't let me stay connected.

I'm not completely sure what else to say, it was good and I'll most likely be reading it again when I can, but it wasn't for me.

That being said I hope no one reads this review and thinks "Well she didn't like it, I'll pass."

For the record I know I don't have that power, everyone reads what they want good review or bad, at least I do. But what I mean is the only opinion that matters is your own, had I listened to the reviews of others I would have probably missed out on a lot.

If you're a fan of young adult fantasy novels this is definitely a book you should read.

Maybe I'm just used to the stereotype young adult novels with dumb girls and brooding guys with secrets, but for fans of all those other stories with real plot lines that don't focus on romance I'm sure they'll love it.

2 comments:

  1. I love fantasy books. This sounds like a cute one. Hearing that it is easy to connect with the characters even though you don't like the genre is good. It makes me think they must be really well written.

    Thanks for sharing, even if you didn't care for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the book, and I must say it was quite different from anything I have ever read which was a good thing. And unlike you, I think I am getting tired of the romance crap that is getting published. You should visit my blog sometime.... Nice blog you've got

    ReplyDelete