Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Thoughtfull Thought: Female Authors vs Male Authors

I'm starting to think that I prefer female authors to male authors. This is a theory I've been working on for a while now but recent experiences have really got me thinking.Growing up it kind of made sense that I was so focused on books written by women, since I would look for characters I could relate to, and who better to write about the problems of a teenage girl than someone who actually was one once. Although through most of my teen years I focused mainly on books written by Meg Cabot so I guess that also steered me to chick-lit, which of course is mainly women. I say mainly but I really can't think of any men writing in that field.
But as I've gotten older and have slowly moved past all the young adult and chick-lit, I can't help but notice that I usually struggle to finish books written by men while a book by a women is a little easier to work through.

I can't help but wonder why? What is it that makes me shut down when I see a man's name on the cover? Are women just better writers (no offense to any male authors reading this)?
And I don't want to go off on another topic but do more women read? I've met very few guys that enjoy reading. But again that's a thought for another day.

I'm not saying that I can't read anything written by a man, that would most likely be the result of some subconscious problem. Then the questions would arise, why do I keep trying to read them? I can and have enjoyed many books by men, I just recently read Intoxication by Tim Kizer. I'm obsessed with Christopher Golden's Body of Evidence series, and the main character in those is a girl around my age which is rare for me to find and love so much.
Ben Sherwood's Charlie St. Cloud was pretty good, although there was a part that bothered me and actually started me thinking about this subject.
I think my exact words were: "Show me a man that can write a decent enough love scene and well that would be a surprise." I'm sorry but those pages were slightly awkward. although that might have also been because I gave a copy to my younger cousin.
It's cool though she gave me a Nicholas Sparks novel with an equally awkward scene in it. Speaking of Nicholas Sparks I've read two of his books and while I'm not running to read more I did like them.

Any one else I could mention are pretty much authors of classics, Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray, which actually also took me a while to complete. I've enjoyed what I've read by F. Scott Fitzgerald, J.M Barrie and who isn't a fan of William Shakespeare and Charles Dickens?
But as far as contemporary goes none immediately come to mind that have amazed me. I've been trying to read Stephen King this summer and I've all but given up on him. It's kind of made me curious about Twilight which I never cared to read but I read that he once said Stephine Meyer can't write and I figure since I can't get through what he's written I might as well try something he insulted. And I've actually read Meyer's short story in the anthology Prom Nights From Hell, and while it wasn't my favorite I also didn't hate it.

I guess I'm going to have to keep trying... and maybe not be so picky, that might work too. Now I'd like to leave you with my "break-up letter" to Pompeii by Robert Harris:

I'm giving this book the classic brake-up line "It's not you it's me." I've been reading a lot of historical fiction this year, most based in ancient Italy or it's surrounding areas, and I fell in love with one so it wasn't fair to go looking for more when I haven't let it go yet. It was just constant comparisons: she gave great descriptions, her details were amazing, she kept things moving and didn't drag on and on. Four days in 278 pages, really?
Although it did make me wonder if I just prefer female authors to male authors; that's something for me to think about.

FULL REIVEW

No comments:

Post a Comment