Friday, September 9, 2011

Darwin's Children

I 'm not sure why but the last couple of weeks I have absolutely loved the books I've read. I don't know if it's just the books alone or something has been triggered in me that has made me enjoy reading as much as I used to. Either way that's good news for Darwin's Children.

Darwin's Children (Volume 1)Darwin's Children (Volume 1)
by  
 My rating 4.5 of 5 stars

Life can get pretty complicated for any seventeen-year-old girl, but for a home-schooled telepathic black girl trying to survive in a prestigious private school in small-town Jonesborough, Tennessee, it can be maddening – especially when her telepathic father keeps eavesdropping on her thoughts!

Jaycie Lerner’s family isn’t the usual mom-dad-kid setup. Jaycie’s mom’s MIA, but Allison, her personal live-in ‘trainer,’ is more than a mom, with her own special abilities, like being able to lift cars and run incredibly fast. And Jaycie’s godfather John is more than persuasive – he can literally convince anyone to do anything.

As far as the rest of the world’s concerned, Jaycie’s on the outside looking in. The townsfolk love Jaycie’s pediatrician father, but she doesn’t fit in with ‘normal’ kids, and she doesn’t really want to. Most of her free time is spent training to keep her telekinetic and telepathic powers under control. But there’s one thing she can’t control – and that’s her feelings, especially when her best friend Matt is nearby. If only he knew what she was truly capable of...

Everything seems to be status quo for Jaycie until she receives a cryptic message from a stranger and meets a very unusual girl new to Jonesborough. Then all hell breaks loose!


Before I say anything else I'd just like to throw out the disclaimer that when I really like a book I can't always list what I liked about it so I tend to go on about what I didn't. 

And as I wrote that I couldn't even think if there actually was something that I didn't like. Well except the cover (which I've read around that I'm not the only one that felt this way about it), I just don't really like it when they put people on them, I like seeing the characters my way and this is a little too in your face. Oh and the description does not do it justice, it makes it sound like a simple story and it is anything but. (I used it because I can not summarize without giving too much detail or not enough.)

I really really liked it, the way all the emotions are describes is amazing and I know I said a couple of weeks ago that all stories are the same, but I've yet to read anything like this.
I loved the main character Jaycie, in the beginning she actually kind of reminded me of a friend I had in high school so I don't know if that helped me develop a connection with her, but there was definitely a connection. I don't even remember the last time I felt any type of connection towards a character in a book, especially one that I just started reading about. That's true for all characters Haylee: I can't even describe what I felt towards her. And then there's Matt, he wasn't even a main character but I liked him so much it surprised me.

The way the story progresses is so great with most books the major conflict is introduce so early that it feels like it drags on or it takes a few hundred pages for anything real to happen. But with this nothing really major happens for awhile; we're just getting to know the characters and that's alright. And that's a good thing since there's actually so much going on with the characters that it does require explaining. And then of course we get to the major conflict and it's pretty much a force yourself to stop reading situation.

I hadn't even realized that it's been so long that I've enjoyed reading something as much as I did Darwin's Children, it got to a point where I couldn't even stop reading.

1 comment: