Friday, October 28, 2011

The Jinx


The JinxThe Jinx by D.F. Lamont
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

The Jinx is the story of Stephen Grayson, a 13-year old whose run of bad luck gets so bad he worries he is endangering his family. Fearing he is cursed, he flees home to protect his family, only to find that he is in the middle of a tug-of war between a cult obsessed with order and misshapen monsters known as “Chaons” who seem bent on hunting him down.

I'm not completely sure what to say, the story was really good; but I felt like it was missing something.
In a previous post I mentioned that I was struggling with my current read and didn't want to say anything about it. Yeah this was it, I didn't want to say anything because I didn't want to give my opinion too soon.
Why? I'm not really sure.
To tell the truth, I probably only "struggled" through one chapter, because once I got passed that I really wanted to know what was going to happen.
I would say it was maybe a little too fast paced but I know if it had been slower I'd really complain about that. So hindsight the quick pace was good, especially at the beginning because it just starts off from page one. It doesn't bother with a lot of talking, slowly introducing the character. It starts with something happening to him and setting the rest of the story in motion.
Sometimes when I read I can be so many pages in and not even realize that the main story has started, I've often told people while reading that I keep waiting for the story to develop only to be told that it already had.
This definitely wasn't the situation here. It caught my attention and it kept it (well except for that one chapter). And honestly that one chapter might have just been me.

All in all would I read more of it? ...I might have set myself up with that one, since I've never been one to look for this style of fantasy young adult. But if I did I most likely would, although I'll admit this did convince me that I should try it more often.
Would I recommend it to any fans of the young adult fantasy genre? Definitely.

1 comment: