Sunday, November 6, 2011

Mount TBR Reading Challenge



I've been hearing about so many reading challenges for next year; I would love to see how many I can join, but I know that I'm choosy about the books I'll have to read and I'll end up completing very few.
What I need is a read what you feel challenge, but then I guess that's why they're called challenges if you're going to read what you feel then that's just reading.
My main problem with challenges is that you have to read a certain number of a certain type of book. And for that to work with me I'd have to become obsessed with that genre, which does happen often for me, this year was big for historical fiction especially Cleopatra. But the thing is I don't want to devote myself to just that one topic, I vary so much I'm always surprising the people that know me pretty well.

Which is actually why the Mount TBR Challenge  is a good one for me to join because I can read which ever book I have on my shelf.
 Well to be specific any that I haven't read yet.

And thankfully (also a little sadly) I have a lot of those. I say sadly because I'm not used to having a big pile of books sitting there waiting to be read. Then there's the money I've spent, but thanks to book swaps and Borders closing I was able to get a lot for less.
But really I'm not used to having books just sitting there practically saying "READ ME ALREADY!"
So again this is a good challenge for me.

Challenge Levels
Pike's Peak: Read 12 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Vancouver: Read 25 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Ararat: Read 40 books from your TBR piles/s
Mt. Kilimanjaro: Read 50 books from your TBR pile/s
El Toro: Read 75 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Everest: Read 100+ books from your TBR pile/s

And the rules:
*Once you choose your challenge level, you are locked in for at least that many books. If you find that you're on a mountain-climbing roll and want to tackle a taller mountain, then you are certainly welcome to upgrade.

*Challenge runs from January 1 to December 31, 2012.

*You may sign up anytime from now until November 30th, 2012.

*Books must be owned by you prior to January 1, 2012. No ARCs (none), no library books. No rereads. [To clarify--based on a question raised--the intention is to reduce the stack of books that you have bought for yourself or received as presents {birthday, Christmas, "just because," etc.}. Audiobooks may count if they are yours and they are one of your primary sources of backlogged books.]

*Books may be used to count for other challenges as well.

*Feel free to submit your list in advance (as incentive to really get those books taken care of) or to tally them as you climb.

*A blog and reviews are not necessary to participate. If you have a blog, then please post a challenge sign up and link THAT post (not your home page) into the linky below.

I'll be trying for the Pike's Peak Level, mostly because there is no in between 12 and 25.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the Challenge! I'm so glad you'll be joining us!

    ReplyDelete