Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Top Ten Books I'd Give A Song To

Top Ten Tuesdays is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

As I've mentioned multiple times before music inspired me and is a big part in a lot of things that I do. Whenever I would finish a book I would always think of a song that would be appropriate for it. I loved picking songs for books, that is until I noticed that right after I read a book the movie would be announced shortly after. Their song choices ruined mine.
So I'm somewhat rusty when it comes to picking the songs and books for this list:

Reincarnation1) Reincarnation by Suzanne Weyn ~ It Is You (I Have Loved) by Dana Glover
Yes from the movie Shrek.
I actually already shared my choice of song for Reincarnation during the Wicked Winter Read-a-thon Challenge, it's what inspired me to try and keep going with this list.
It fits perfectly with the whole long lost love story.
 But now I know just who you are
And I know you hold my heart 
Finally this is where I belong
It is you I have loved all along 
It's no more mystery
It is finally clear to me
You're the home my heart searched for so long
And it is you I have loved all along.


The Burn2) The Burn by Annie Oldham ~ Part of Your World (from The Little Mermaid)
I mentioned in my review for The Burn that it reminded me of The Little Mermaid, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that I choose Part of Your World as it's theme song.
And the book basically is a dystopian Little Mermaid, minus the talking seafood.

What would I give if I could live outta these waters?
What would I pay to spend a day warm on the sand?
Betcha on land they understand
Bet they don't reprimand their daughters
Bright young women sick o' swimmin'
Ready to stand
And I'm ready to know what the people know
Ask 'em my questions and get some answers
What's a fire and why does it what's the word? Burn?
When's it my turn?
Wouldn't I love love to explore that shore up above?
Out of the sea wish I could be
Part of that world.

Remembrance3) Remembrance by Michelle Madow ~ One in this World by Haylie Duff
I know Remembrance is known for being inspired by Taylor Swift's Love Story, so it's like a total abomination for me to give it another song but looking past the story of their reincarnation, One in This World would also fit the romance.
I've been searching for
A heart that needs a heart like mine
I've been reaching for
A hand that understands
I've been waiting for
Someone that I can love that loves me
Loves me for the one that I am
Someone to hold me when I'm lonely
Someone to keep the rain away
.


Thirteen Reasons Why4) Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher ~ If I Die Young by The Band Perry
I know this is a really weird choice, especially since Kimberly Perry has stated that the song is not about suicide but how she is content with the life she has lived at her young age "assuring others that if she were to die at her young age, that she would have no regrets."
And obviously the character in Thirteen Reasons Why wasn't content with her life; but while reading, the one line from this song kept coming back to me:

A penny for my thoughts, oh no I’ll sell them for a dollar
There worth so much more after I’m a goner
And maybe then you’ll here the words I been singin’
Funny when your dead how people start listenin’

So yeah maybe not even close to being the best choice for this book, but again I choose it mainly for that line.


Maneater5) Maneater by Gigi Levangie Grazer ~ Maneater by Nelly Furtado
Appropriate right? The original theme song for this book and it's movie is Hall&Oates' Maneater. Which also works, but Nelly Furtado is maybe a more contemporary version for it.
She's a Maneater, make you work hard
Make you spend hard
Make you want all, of her love
She's a maneater
make you buy cars
make you cut cords
Wish you never ever met her at all!

Missing You (1-800-Where-R-You, #5)6) Missing You by Meg Cabot ~ Now You Know by Hilary Duff
I've wanted so long to find a song that fits the entire series, and this is about the closet I've gotten. At least for Missing You. I've still yet to find one for Rob and Jess' relationship throughout.
Maybe this seems bold
But I'm hoping you'll stay for the happy ending
I never wanna be without you
Oh no, here I go, now you know
What I feel about you
There's no ending
Must've been wrong to doubt you
Oh no, there I go, no control
But I'm fallin so, now you know


Twilight (The Mediator, #6)7) Twilight by Meg Cabot ~ I Think We're Alone Now by Tiffany
Yes we're entering the Meg Cabot leg of this countdown. (leg? who says that?) Someone actually suggested this one for The Mediator series, and it stuck so much so that when I heard this song again it brought back some memories. I thought about it and they're either memories of a certain point in my life or just the books, maybe both since I did read the books at that point in my life.
Since Jesse and Suze have to keep their relationship a secret it does fit.
 Look at the way
We gotta hide what we're doing
'Cause what would they say
If they ever knew and so we're
Runnin' just as fast as we can
Holdin' on to one another's hand
Tryin' to get away into the night

Shadowland (The Mediator, #1) 8) Shadowland by Meg Cabot ~ Gimme, Gimme, Gimme ( A Man After Midnight) by ABBA
There was a time when my mom would go around saying this was my theme song, apparently my jokes made me sound desperate, not sure where we stand with it now.
Anyway I always saw this as Suze's theme song, especially in this one. 

Gimme gimme gimme a man after midnight
Won't somebody help me chase the shadows away
Gimme gimme gimme a man after midnight
Take me through the darkness to the break of the day


Just Ella9) Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix ~ Beautiful Soul by Jesse McCartney
These last two are songs I picked when I first read these books which was may 8 or 10 years ago.








Ella Enchanted10) Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine ~ Cinderella by The Cheetah Girls

I don’t wanna be like Cinderella,
Sitting in a dark, cold, dusty cellar,
Waiting for somebody to come and set me free
I don’t wanna be like someone waiting
For a handsome prince to come and save me
On I will survive
Unless somebody's on my side
Don't wanna depend on no one else.
I’d rather rescue myself.




Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

1 comment:

  1. Fab list! The Cinderella song sounds like a great choice for Ella, although I don't know it at all - but I love the book. Mine is at YA Yeah Yeah if you'd like to take a look.

    ReplyDelete