Friday, April 27, 2012

The Annihilation of Foreverland - Review

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Published December 31st 2011

When kids awake on an island, they’re told there was an accident. Before they can go home, they will visit Foreverland, an alternate reality that will heal their minds. 
Reed dreams of a girl that tells him to resist Foreverland. He doesn’t remember her name, but knows he once loved her. He’ll have to endure great suffering and trust his dream. And trust he’s not insane. 
Danny Boy, the new arrival, meets Reed’s dream girl inside Foreverland. She’s stuck in the fantasy land that no kid can resist. Where every heart’s desire is satisfied. Why should anyone care how Foreverland works?  
Together, they discover what it’s really doing to them.

I hate books like this! I can never tell how much I actually liked them.

I liked it, I really did. I just can't say why. And this isn't like all those other reviews I write where I say I wish I could just simply say I liked it.

When I got the review request it did such a good job of selling this book to me I couldn't say no.

It's for younger readers, how young I can't say. But young enough that I couldn't really get past all the boys. A lot of the YA I read, when I actually was one, was chick-lit because I was always looking for someone to relate to. Over the years I have grown out of that, but with this a little part of my 14 year-old self came back.
The characters caught my attention and I was very caught up in the story.
But they still acted like teenage boys.

Which could actually also be seen as a compliment. It was really well written.
...except for all the constant POV changes.
(Ha, POV totally went back to my film class there.)

It's also sci-fi.
I know during one of my many sleepless nights (that are now being blamed on me) I considered taking up science fiction novels (specifically dystopias) for there long lasting side-effects that effect my dreams. Other than for that reason alone, sci-fi has never really gotten my attention.

Although this story was definitely the exception, even though I was able to figure out what was going on pretty early on.

No comments:

Post a Comment