Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Top Ten Books That Were Totally Deceiving

Top Ten Tuesdays is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Lets talk disappointments!
I have been deceived by plenty but maybe just six books. At least that I could come up with.
Sometimes Ill be attracted to books by their covers, yes I've judged them. But most of the time I choose based on descriptions.  

And yeah I'll usually end up pretty mad at them and yes feeling deceived.

Lets start with covers:

The Restless Dead: Ten Original Stories of the Supernatural1) The Restless Dead: Ten Original Stories of the Supernatural by Deborah Noyes

You give me a book with zombie-like hands on the cover I expect at least a little zombie-like behavior. I know it's YA but still they could have worked up something!

DEAD[ish]2) Dead[ish] by Naomi Kramer
I don't think I ever mentioned it, but before I started blogging my trademark for Little Miss Drama Queen was a skull and crossbones wearing a crown. (I was actually working on updating it but never got to finish,  I should really get back to that.)
So of course when I saw the cover of Dead[ish] I couldn't not read it. I did and I know it's really mean to say so, but in my review I pretty much stated that it was obvious why it was free. I did not enjoy it at all. But surprisingly I did give it two stars instead of one.

Then we have everything else from descriptions to titles.


It all starts when Nick asks Norah to be his girlfriend for five minutes. He only needs five minutes to avoid his ex-girlfriend, who’s just walked in to his band’s show. With a new guy. And then, with one kiss, Nick and Norah are off on an adventure set against the backdrop of New York City

Come on, what's not to love about that description? It really made me want to find out how good a kisser Nick is, seeing as how that's all it took. Plus he's a musician!
I felt it was completely unrealistic and kind of scary the way the authors tried to portray typical teenagers.
It took me a really long time to finish the book which I could have easily read in a day if it had been better.

4) Island Girls by Rachel Hawthorne

I was in the mood for something girly and bubbly and ended up hoping that someone would slap these girls for being so preoccupied with random guys. It was really uncomfortable, it might actually be one of the few reasons I try not to read romances.

5) Pompeii by Robert Harris

It's POMPEII! Historical disaster. Anybody remember my random post over the summer regarding this one?

6) The Utterly, Completely, and Totally Useless History Fact-O-Pedia: A Startling Collection of Historical Trivia You'll Never Need to Know by Charlotte Lowe

Boarders closing sale bought the history one while my cousin got the everyday things.
They weren't kidding when they said useless. Turns out I already know a lot about most of the historical topics I'm interested in. There were a few things that I didn't really think should have been labeled as "useless", but most just seemed pointless and not very interesting.

4 comments:

  1. I need to read Nick & Nora, although I'm bummed to hear your take on it! Maybe I'll keep putting it off a bit longer...
    Stop by and see my Top Ten / Teaser Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't recommend it but then again don't let me stop you, maybe borrow it from somewhere?

      Delete
  2. I actually loved Nick & Nora, but I've heard of a lot of people who felt much the same as you.

    Brilliant list this week! I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed that, it's really one of those love it or leave it type of books.

      Delete