Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Top Ten Tips For New Book Bloggers

Top Ten Tuesdays is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


What a perfect top 10 topic for this week since I happen to be celebrating my one year blogaversery. Which is actually the main reason I joined in this week, since I normally do these posts every other week.

Lets see what wise advice can I give to the newcomers. I guess I can always start with the advice that was given to me when I first started...
Hmm... Yeah I can't think of any.
Not that there weren't any; when I started inviting people to check it out, along with all the well wishes, I did receive some advice. But I guess blogging is more of a live and learn thing.

Although, like I always say "Live and learn, then live some more and realize Hey I already learned this!."

1. Just go with the flow. It wasn't until the start of this year that my posts started to come out smoothly. The first few months everything was so choppy. Random review here, whatever I was reading there. A couple of those months had nothing but book trailers.

2. Don't worry When I first started I had my moments when I would just start worrying. I didn't know what I was going to be writing, it's not like I was reading the newest things out. Plus I didn't want to be all about books, so what would my main topic be? I'm still wondering about that.

3. Don't try to fit in

Which also goes well with:
4. DON'T look at other blogs. Just don't. You might not purposely be comparing yours to theirs but deep down it might just happen without you even noticing.

5. If you write it they will read. Don't worry how many people (if any) read what you write as long as it's out there someone will find it.

6. Write for you. In the words of me: I'm not blogging to give my opinion on anything or to get attention I'm just doing it to do it. I have a lot running though my mind, and I might as well put it out there. 

7. Blog like no one is reading.  I can't say the number of weird things I've posted on my Facebook and then later realized "Oops! My Uncle/Mom's friend/old dance teacher could have read that!"
While I do make more of an effort to edit myself on here (a lot more people I can offend) I still put it all out there. I've also mentioned that I don't sugarcoat things.
Then I get notes from authors about the review I wrote on their books and think to myself "Oh crap! I forgot about you."
Thankfully all those notes have been good.

8. Don't try to buy followers. One tip I got when I first started was a good way to gain followers was to host giveaways. Well if you do that you don't know if they're following you for you or for what you can offer them. It wasn't until this month that I joined a huge giveaway hop, before then I had only joined maybe one or two. That's maybe a third of my following everyone else I know is here because they wanted to be.

Although:

9) A follow for a follow isn't a bad idea. A lot of new bloggers will follow you if you return the favor.

But

10) It also might be. They might only be following you to help themselves.

1 comment:

  1. Love the tips! Thank you so much for posting them. My brain has officially turned to mush from over-saturation of the most incredibly helpful advice today :)
    Angela @ AJ Arndt Books Blog

    ReplyDelete