Friday, May 11, 2012

Abandon - Review

Abandon (Abandon Trilogy, #1)Abandon by Meg Cabot
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Published April 26th 2011 by Point

Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.

But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid.

Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away . . . especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most.

But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld.

First off I just need to get this out: Pierce's dad is such a jerk! Whenever he was mentioned a part of me started calling out to John. "Come on! Save the girl from her possessive father." He's the reason girls runaway with guys like John.
Dude was way past the protective "just-want-what's-best-for-your-kids" dad.

Another thing that kind bugged me was the constant use of the phrase: "Check yourself before you wreck yourself."
It made sense and did fit perfectly with where the situation was going, but it was just... repetitive?
Unless it was meant to be a mantra, then yes perfect.

It's actually kind of funny that, that phrase stuck with me since while reading Abandon, I had somewhat of a "bad moment" (yes I "wrecked" myself) and I might have needed someone to say that to me. When I went to finish reading, it turned into a "Oh so that's what you're trying to say! Well played." moment.


Those four stars? They're mainly for the last third of the book maybe. The rest was kind of dull. I couldn't get "into the moment," mostly because the moments had all passed.
 It consist mainly of flashbacks, the character is in one place doing something, then all of a sudden they're remembering something that happened elsewhere. If you're distracted while reading you might get a little lost, when the scene suddenly changes. "Wasn't she just talking to her mom? Where did this guy come from?"

I love mythology, every since my sixth grade English class covered it I've been fascinated with those stories, and maybe that's why I expected something more from this story. Other than mentioning the characters known in the myth of Persephone, this is it's own story. No mythology knowledge required.


I was kind of alright with not liking it so much since I knew it was the first in the trilogy and I knew it could only get better. (Much like my experience with Meg's Airhead).



REVIEW FOR UNDERWORLD THE NEXT IN THE ABANDON TRILOGY.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I think I need to check out these books. Thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete