Monday, May 7, 2012

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

It's Monday. What are you Reading? is a weekly meme hosted by Book Journey where we share what we have been reading and what we plan to read this week.

Well there went another month, I guess before I begin I should share what I said I would on my last post. Because like I said then, you were all eagerly awaiting to see what I chose to do with my weekend.
It's more than alright if you have no idea what I'm talking about since the only reason I remembered was because I was checking to see when my last It's Monday... post went up.

So to recap I was "conflicted" between the 24 hour read-a-thon and the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books. My plan ended up being read Saturday go to the festival Sunday. But as I've learned: why bother planning if none of your plans ever work out?
So I didn't go to the book fair and I barely got to participate in the read-a-thon. I'd forgotten the month of April has never been my friend.

I was able to finish one book during the read-a-thon:

SpeakSpeak by Laurie Halse Anderson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Laurie Halse Anderson said she didn't want to write this because it would be like revisiting high school; by page 5 I was feeling the same way about reading it.
I did and didn't like it.

I try to avoid books that focus on real problems especially YA books. I've always read to escape, to become someone else and well I'd rather be a a girl whose biggest problem is trying to out run the forces of evil or you know trying not to throw herself at that really hot guy. Talk about a false outlook, where are these guys in the real world?

But like biographies and memoirs I read them every once in a while to ground myself again, it can't always be ghost, fairies and lords of the Underworld. So even though I have to go back and relive somethings, like crappy friends, jerky guys and a careless counselor books like this are definitely worth it.

From my last post: 
The Lost ValentineThe Lost Valentine by James Michael Pratt
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I can't say the last time, or if ever, that I finished a book and immediately wanted to read it again. I'm not even sure what to say, well I do but I'm going to have to bring out my cheesy side and say it kind of made me believe in love. To be specific the kind of love Caroline and Neil shared.

My only complaint: it could have done without the side story of Neil Jr. and Susan. While I liked the few moments it took us away from the main story, I just didn't get it's point. Other then telling the reader what they were suppose to gain from the original story.

I wanted to go all out for this book, while reading it really left me with something. And it must have been good because I can't even remember.

Elixir (Elixir, #1)Elixir by Hilary Duff
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've been reading a few reincarnation inspired books the last few months, so I'm kind of getting to the been-there-done-that zone. I felt like it should have just ended there with history repeating itself, but that's just me and I sometimes like sad endings.
But sadly (for me) no, so let's bring on the next book.

You know me and reincarnation.


And going back to "lords of the Underworld:

Abandon (Abandon Trilogy, #1)Abandon by Meg Cabot
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'll be putting up a full review for Abandon on Friday to go along with tomorrow's review of


Thanks to Underworld I have no idea what I'll be reading this week. It kind of left me with a deer in the headlights feeling and not knowing where to go from here.




No comments:

Post a Comment