Monday, May 7, 2012

Underworld (Abandon #2) - Review

Underworld (Abandon Trilogy, #2)Underworld by Meg Cabot
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Published May 8th 2012 by Point

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Meg Cabot, the dark reimagining of the Persephone myth begun in ABANDON continues ... into the Underworld.

Seventeen-year-old Pierce Oliviera isn't dead.

Not this time.

But she is being held against her will in the dim, twilit world between heaven and hell, where the spirits of the deceased wait before embarking upon their final journey.

Her captor, John Hayden, claims it's for her own safety. Because not all the departed are dear. Some are so unhappy with where they ended up after leaving the Underworld, they've come back as Furies, intent on vengeance . . . on the one who sent them there and on the one whom he loves.

But while Pierce might be safe from the Furies in the Underworld, far worse dangers could be lurking for her there . . . and they might have more to do with its ruler than with his enemies.

And unless Pierce is careful, this time there'll be no escape.



It's here! It's here! Meg Cabot's newest novel Underworld
I can't remember the last time I was so excited for a book's release. Of course this time it's because I already got to read the book so I really need someone I can go: "Did you?" "Yes!" "You were..." "I know!" with. 

Also lately I've had the sudden urge to just blurt out spoilers, so I'm kind of jumpy about certain topics. But mostly that's really me trying to be mean to some people. At times I just want to go up to them and go cough cough so and so dies cough, (this is mainly directed to my sister and her husband since they haven't read Mockingjay yet.) But I haven't, I am able to control myself. Besides, how weird would that be?

Don't worry though, you're safe here. This is a spoiler free zone. I've had enough books spoiled by people who don't know how to limit themselves. Did you really need to tell everyone that the big secret was that they're vampires? I don't care if it really wasn't a secret, it was still something I would have liked to find out myself.

This is me procrastinating, since I have no idea what I want to say about Underworld. I gave it a 4 but a part of me wants to move it up to a 5, if only to honor my high school self who would have most likely given it that rating. Oh to be 15 again.

I'm going to try to channel my younger self for this review, so here goes:

Oh my god, oh my god. I just finished Underworld and I know I say this about all of Meg's books but it was one of the best! I can't even think straight. 
It was really good, I can't believe we have to wait to see what happens! 
AAHHHH!!!! [Then some strange sounds that I couldn't/shouldn't try to describe.]



Now my head hurts. But if I do say so myself that was pretty dead on.
Okey dokey now for the older "mature" me:

The writing is awesome, of course. Would it be weird if I called it a piece of art?

Things are definitely getting better as they go, way better. There was a moment when I wanted to jump up and call someone but then realized you haven't read it yet! Read it quick!
The thing is that by the time they do read it, I'll have gotten over it and be all: "Yeah I was, it did." 

See the different between that and my half sentences that I wrote above?
That says something right there. That something being: it wasn't exactly what I would call captivating.

It's a middle book, most usually feel like they're just there to move the story along between the first and third, and that's usually what they're for. That being said, I look forward to the final installment. 

The last time I struggled with a review like this, I made a list trying to decided how I really felt about it. But then I gave it the 5 since I realized I was thinking way too much about it.
I think that's happening now.


You know what?
I know I always say that I wish I could do this but won't. But I'm doing it with this.

I liked it I really liked it.

All that needs to be said.

No comments:

Post a Comment