Friday, June 8, 2012

A Healing Heart - Review

A Healing Heart A Healing Heart by Melissa A. Hanson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Published February 14th 2012 by Melissa Hanson

On a bitter cold winter night Bailey Walsh’s family was killed in a traffic accident. Two years later as she lives with her aunt and uncle in Southern California, Bailey is still plagued by the nightmares of that terrible night. Everywhere around her are reminders of what she lost. Even her aunt, in a cruel twist of fate, is not just her mom’s sister, but her identical twin. Babysitting Riley, a spunky two-year old, is a sweet distraction and one constant light in her life. One day as she takes Riley to the park she meets Collin McKenna, a senior at her high school and her life is changed forever as he helps her find herself and realize her life is worth living. As the romance between them grows her broken heart begins to heal. However, still nagging in the back of her conscious is the fear that her new found happiness could come crashing down and she could lose everything she loves, yet again. Outside forces begin to tear them apart and Bailey must learn to trust in herself and realize that she is worthy of happiness. That sometimes love and healing comes in unexpected forms.


This was really sweet, and not a this is so cheesy sweet that I always call out on, well alright it had it's close moments but it never went too far. It 's so simple and yet it's that simplicity that made it great.

Read it in two days how I managed to put it down in between I don't know. I actually found myself longing to go home and finish it. I can't say the last time I did that for a book.

If I cried I would, I don't even know exactly why. Which annoys me a little, or a lot, I like to think of my self as a rational person who doesn't cry over a romance but that's just a lie.

I loved (and hate) that it made me feel something, I was so immersed in it.

Only problem: I couldn't exactly buy into teenagers taking about love the way they did it seemed kind of old-fashion to me. Although me; I do like old-fashion.
What I really couldn't get past was the sudden turn into over-dramatic "teen-dom". I just kind of wanted to go "it's HIGH SCHOOL!"
Wait four years like me and then pine for him. (I miss you my Collin!)
Actually no, that's another thing I liked about it; this year I've been reading a few YAs that just take me back to high school with mixed results, and this one: nothing. A part of me was "really? no emotions? do you remember you're 17th birthday? I'd have killed for a Collin!"
Actually I still would.

I never had a Collin, nor have I ever experienced love or loss like Bailey has, so maybe that's why I felt it went a little bit overboard. I do know that what minor losses I have gone through are what made me what I am today, which might not completely be a good thing and is probably why I think things got way over dramatized.

It made me think but not a thought-filled type of way more of a huh so that's something to wonder about.


Another of it's good qualities this is the fastest that I've ever written a review.

A week after finishing at it's still with me.

1 comment:

  1. I read this one a few months ago, and I must say there were moments where I really had to laugh, because of how cheesy the moment was, even though the part wasn't funny at all! It was a cute read, I guess, but sometimes went a bit far for me.

    ReplyDelete