Friday, July 20, 2012

Guardians: The Girl - Review

Guardians: The Girl by Lola St.Vil
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars 
Published February 10th 2012

Emmy - a bookish, witty student - is rescued by six teenaged angels with powers, called Guardians. They've been sent to elicit the secret from her before the demons can. Emmy later learns that her name is the only clue to locating a sought-after bridge that for centuries, Evil has plotted to destroy; this would in turn bring about the end of humanity.

Things get worse when Emmy falls madly in love with Marcus, the well-intentioned but obstinate leader of the Guardians. He eventually confesses that he is in love with her as well. Unfortunately, Marcus has been warned by his clairvoyant and omniscient guide that should he and Emmy get together, the mission will fail and humanity will perish.


I did not think I’d like this as much as I did.
And I l liked it a lot. A LOT.

We were getting pretty close to a 5 for a while there, we still might if my mood changes.

Again I wish I could take up video reviews but then, well just no. Best not to embarrass myself.              
And you know make you guys endure me going oh my gods.! {gasp, gasp,} ch-yeah! {squeal}.

It’s really more of a gasping squeal. If I ever figure out a way to spell or just describe the sounds I make after I finish a book like this I fully intend to make it its own point system.


What to say about Guardians… The characters and plot were amazing. The characters beyond amazing; I couldn’t help getting drawn into each of their personalities. They’re the friends you wish you had, or at least I do. Bonus points for being able to protect you with their awesome angel powers.

I had to stop reading for about a week, how I managed to do it I don’t know. All I can say is that it was a good thing I wasn’t too far in because once I got to a certain point I don’t think I would have been able to stop. 
Actually I almost couldn’t, I tried to about three times, but I found myself reading long into the night. (And anyone who reads this blog regularly knows that’s not always a good thing.)

The plot, I’ll admit had a few moments of predictability, but it wasn’t what I expected. I've never read anything like it, it was so original. Even before I reached the end I already wanted more.

Pro: Besides the characters. The flow, the story starts right away and runs throughout without stopping to drone out some explanation. Explanations were nicely intertwined with the story resulting in very few dull moments. Story, story, story, explanation, explanation, story, explanation, story.

Con: The sudden change in point of view, it was like having to reread the whole beginning again, it got a little confusing.


The trailer just makes me want to read it again.
If I could say more I would. Bad thing about good books they leave me without words.

The Guardians: The Girl is free on Kindle this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment