Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Top Ten Favorite Books This Year So Far

 Top Ten Tuesdays is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Since we recently hit the halfway point of the year I thought I'd share my favorite reads so far this year. Right after I finished some of these books I just started thinking I can't wait to add them to the end of the year list! But why wait when I have a freebie today.
All books are in order of when I read them and their ratings.

1) Brightest Kind of Darkness by P.T Michelle - 5 stars
The sequel Lucid just came out this week and I still haven't gotten it! I checked on Barnes & Noble but I couldn't find it. WHY B&N? WHY?
Not like I'd actually have time to read it right away, but I'd have found time!
Right so Brightest Kind of Darkness was simply amazing I couldn't even write a review for it I was just so awestruck.

2) The Darkening Dream by Andy Gavin - 5 stars
Now this is a vampire novel! Don't get me wrong I have nothing against all the cute little "vamps are just like us" books out there; but given the choice I'd much rather read about them doing horrible evil things.
And if a character knows how to use a stake, I'm all for them.
It flows so perfectly between character point of views, it's a great blend of historical fiction, mythology and paranormal I couldn't get through it quicker.

3) The Lost Valentine by James Michale Pratt - 5 stars
I can't say the last time, or if ever, that I finished a book and immediately wanted to read it again. I'm not even sure what to say, well I do but I'm going to have to bring out my cheesy side and say it kind of made me believe in love. To be specific the kind of love Caroline and Neil shared.

4) Speak by Lauris Halse Anderson - 5 stars
Laurie Halse Anderson said she didn't want to write this because it would be like revisiting high school; by page 5 I was feeling the same way about reading it.
I did and didn't like it.

5)  The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter - 5 stars
Of the three Persephone myth retellings I've read this year this is definitely my favorite. It had more mythology to it, so because of that I was able to get a little more into it.

6) Insatiable by Meg Cabot - 5 stars
This is the second vampire novel on this list, that's huge for me. Although it is a Meg Cabot novel so I shouldn't be too surprised.

7) Reincarnation by Suzanne Weyn - 4 stars
4 because it was pretty simple.
5 because, well I love the idea of reincarnation and I'm a total romantic (even if I don't openly admit it to myself). I loved traveling through time with the characters.

8) The Belly Dancer by DeAnna Cameron - 4 stars
This really made me miss dancing. While my being a belly dancer was not the reason I decided to read this, it is the reason I knew of it. (Stupid Facebook you make one belly dance reference and they don't stop showing you ads for some book you wouldn't look twice at.) I guess I should be thankful for that.I really liked it, especially the characters I think in any other story they might have bugged me but in this they were pretty great. This is the type of book that I really needed to read and didn't even realize til I did.

9) Abandon & Underworld by Meg Cabot - 4 stars
I'm going to cheat with number 9 and add both.
I liked them I really liked them.
All that needs to be said.


10) A Healing Heart by Melissa A. Hanson - 4 stars
I read this a little more than a month ago and I still have moments when I remember certain details, I can't even say why. Which is even more of a reason to add it on here.

2 comments:

  1. Fun list! Wow, the covers to the P.T. Michelle books are just gorgeous. Makes me want to pick them right up.

    Re. #10, those books that keep popping into your head for days and weeks and months and years afterward--those are the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I love the cover of Speak. It's simple, but mesmerizing.

    ReplyDelete