Monday, August 13, 2012

It's Monday. What Are You Reading?

It's Monday. What are you Reading? is a weekly meme hosted by Book Journey where we share what we have been reading and what we plan to read this week.

A few months ago during a read-a-thon I asked, if there was such a thing as too many read-a-thons. I answered myself with a no, and many agreed.

But last week during the Summer Wrap Up Read-a-thon I learned that there actually might be such a thing as too many read-a-thons.
I read a lot in July and got into a pretty good groove, but once August came along I just wasn't feeling it.
I'm pretty sure I know the reason why, and I'm trying to get pasted it so hopefully by my next It's Monday, everything will be back to normal. If not then by next month, maybe I just need to take a break from reading so much.

Or maybe I need to read what I actually want, since I decided to finish reading certain books I no longer care for but feel obligated to get through.

Anyway the books I've read that I actually cared for since my last update:

PrivilegedPrivileged by Zoey Dean
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

That's a low 4. It was kind of hard to get through, lately my tolerance for chick-lit characters has really diminished. They're all annoying bratty jerks or naive.
Or maybe I've just gotten attached to characters in other genres.
It kind of reminded me of the movie Mean Girls, mousy girl pretending to be something she's not, just to get in with the "in" crowd, but then in turn turning into a jerk herself. Then you start hoping she gets hit by a bus, which is probably why I always enjoy the ending when the person gets called out for trying to be something they're not.
I'm weird I love people trying to explain themselves; especially when no one will hear them out.

 The Stepford WivesThe Stepford Wives by Ira Levin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It was alright. Kind of hard to get in to since I already knew what was going on though.
If I had read it before seeing the movie (like I had wanted to) I probably would have really enjoyed it.


 Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

What's the opposite of "damsel in distress"? Because this really made me realize that I prefer and very much love those. No brooders, no "I'll die if I can't have him!"s. As much as we can compare to the helpless socially-awkward bookish types in most books, how can we not be incredibly drawn to the flirty outgoing "I'll punch you if you get in my way" type?
I really love characters who are not afraid to smack people around for their friends.
It had it's moments of predictability but I actually liked that, I don't know I guess I like being able to get in an author's head and guess where they're going with a story.

8 comments:

  1. Vampire Academy has been on my to-read list for awhile. I'm glad to hear that it is a good book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. I actually wasn't planning on reading it yet but my library's waiting list was pretty short.

      Delete
  2. I've never read The Stepford Wives. (Nor seen the movie!) I might just have to check that out :)

    Have a great week of reading!
    http://therelentlessreader.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the movie, the endings are a little different so I think that's why. Also since the book is from the '70s it did feel a bit dated on some subjects.
      You should try them both, but like I said maybe the book first, and it's pretty short so it's really a quick read.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know there was a book version of The Stepford Wives. How old is it? I'm pretty sure there are two movies, with the latest one with Nicole Kidman being a remake. But yeah, it can be tough enjoying the book after the movie has already spoiled it for you.

    Here's my Monday Post and Giveaway..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movies are based on the book which was published in the '70s I believe.
      I've never seen the original movie but I love the Nicole Kidman remake.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I can't wait to continue with it.
      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete