Friday, September 14, 2012

Angela's Coven - Review

Angela's Coven
Angela's Coven by Bruce Jenvey
Published October 21st 2011 by Museitup Publisghing
3.5 of 5 stars

Reggie Sinclair is an aging British rock star living in New York City who has just found out he is terminally ill. He also has a very dark secret: When he was still an undiscovered teenager, he sold his soul to the Devil in exchange for his great fame and success. As his life draws to an end, he prepares to face the inevitable until he stumbles upon a very enchanting, modern-day witch named Angela, and her untraditional coven. 
Angela gradually introduces Reggie to her world of old school Witchcraft with its roots in alchemy and ‘natural chemistry’ dating to the Dark Ages. As their relationship grows, they devise a plan to break Reggie’s contract and save his soul. 
This is a story of the struggle between good and evil with a cast of characters that ranges from guardian angels to young witches-in-training. Together, they have to come to terms with the uncertainties of love, loss, and life decisions to save Reggie from an unbearable eternity.

You know those movies that are just too long?

Maybe you don’t. It might just be the film editor in me, but every once in a while I’ll find a movie that is good, but just a few minutes too long. When it ends I always say had I done the editing I would have been able to cut it down an hour.
(I once cut down The Two Towers from the Lord of the Rings trilogy down 30 minutes; of course they were only the scenes with Orlando Bloom.)

Anyway my point: Angela’s Coven was good but a few pages too long. Or maybe the paragraphs had one too many sentences. The story has a perfect flow to it but every once in a while I just felt like yelling “Get on with it!”
It’s not like those extra lines were pointless they did add to the story. Unlike in other stories were the author goes off on a completely different topic and you’re kind of left wondering what the point was. (Much like my posts.) That’s really not the case here; everything is a perfect contribution to the story. It just felt dragged out.

Other than that I enjoyed it; it was very different than what I’ve read this year. Or really ever. The characters, though at times a bit odd, were really likeable it did not take long for me to really care about them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment