Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Into The Shadows - Review

Into the Shadows (Into the Shadows, #1)Into the Shadows by Karly Kirkpatrick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paivi Anderson has it all - friends, a spot on the varsity basketball team, wonderful parents, and quite possibly, her first boyfriend. It was everything a freshman in high school could ask for. 
Her perfect life begins to crumble when she discovers her name on a list distributed by a power-hungry presidential candidate. How could anyone think of Paivi as an Enemy of the State? Could it be because of her special powers? No one was supposed to know about them, but the mysterious messages in her tater tots say otherwise. 
In INTO THE SHADOWS, Paivi quickly learns who her friends are and is forced into a reality she didn't see coming.This is the first book in the Into the Shadows Trilogy.

One way I write reviews is writing down the pros and cons. With this I'd like to start with the cons, just to get them out of the way so I can then move on to praise this book as best I can.

So con number one: The first part in the full description "Fans of the TV series ‘Heroes, the film ‘Push’, and the book ‘The Hunger Games’ will enjoy Into the Shadows, a modern and paranormal thriller." 
Fans of The Hunger Games.  I got this book to review back in March when the Hunger Games movie was coming out, actually I think I got it the day I saw it, I know it says book but stay with me it really doesn't make a difference.
At that time I felt like everything was working off of the fame the movie had, everywhere I looked "For fans of The Hunger Games" "If you liked The Hunger Games try..."
And I get it that's not only how you sell books but it's also a great way to get non-readers to read more. It's just a spot for me, I liked The Hunger Games why would I want to read something like it.
It's like those commercials for Silk milk, "You like milk, try this!"

I've never seen Heroes or Push so I can't say if those would have changed anything.
But anyway my point; I almost turned it down because of that, I know bad reason which is why I kept reading and realized that it sounded like a pretty interesting story itself.
I'm just saying I see Hunger Games I think dystopia; which might be where it's going towards the end but not where it starts.

I might have given this 5 stars if not for, Con #2: It kind of took a while to develop. Maybe it has to do with what I said above, that I was looking for a dystopia, but it starts off as a typical young adult novel. Best friends, cute guys, school, little siblings and a few special powers thrown in.
For this one I'm going to take partial blame because I don't think I was in the mind frame for a YA novel, because other than be kind of long, it was a great development. We got to see (I say "see" because I didn't feel like I actually met them since they were kind of flat.) who the characters were and spend some (a lot) of time with them.

My turning point was, obviously the story's turning point. I'm a fan of human behavior, and therefore drawn to points in history when human behavior wasn't at it's best, which is pretty much the basis of this book.
(I won't say which points in history since there are probably more than I even know of.)

Seeing everyone go into "witch hunt" mode (I didn't even think about this one when I mentioned historical points above, see too many) when the list was reveled was what hooked me. After that I had to keep reading to the end.

The second part of the novel is filled with so much emotion, that you can't not feel. Let me reiterate: you will feel the emotions.

I was so caught up in it I couldn't help but think what I would do in Paivi's situation (and I already have so few friends to begin with), if I would fight back, run or just sit back and take it. Same question, what if that were to happen today. Would I also shun the sudden "outcasts" or want to protect them?

And before I continue asking questions, I should continue reading the rest of the trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment