Monday, October 8, 2012

It's Monday! What are you Reading?

It's Monday. What are you Reading? is a weekly meme hosted by Book Journey where we share what we have been reading and what we plan to read this week. 

Since my last "It's Monday" went up I have been finishing books so quickly I can't even explain why. I was pretty much finishing a book a day there.
I'm gonna miss that. Repeat performances are doubtful.

Divergent (Divergent, #1)Divergent by Veronica Roth
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'll admit it I kind of didn't want to like this. And truthfully I wasn't about to jump on the bandwagon until maybe 60/70 percent in.
I have some pretty strong feelings towards this book; both good and very good. And well some bad, mainly the stereotype high school-ness in the first half. The jerk that bullies everyone else (who I was very close to psychoanalyzing, just for my own amusement), the tough protective friend, the snob, and the guy you have to feel sorry for but can't because you just want to tell him to suck it up. And don't get me started on (view spoiler)[ his suicide (hide spoiler)]!
If the controlling government hadn't shown up I probably would have given it a 4, so it's a good thing they came along.

The Light and Fallen (Chronicles of the Nephilim, #1)The Light and Fallen by Anna White
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

FULL REVIEW




Daughter of Smoke and BoneDaughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The ending was pretty good; I really liked where it was going. The problem was I didn't know where it was coming from. I don't know if it needs a prequel to give some more background info on the characters or more descriptions but sometimes it felt like they didn't have any real purpose for what they did. That and I didn't really process that most of the characters weren't even human.

I don't want to completely blame it on being an audio book but I did manage to read a few chapters and I think I should give it another try. But only if I find it used.


Size 14 Is Not Fat Either (Heather Wells, #2)Size 14 Is Not Fat Either by Meg Cabot
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It had it's cute and funny moments but meah. The mystery was interesting; I think I'm just losing my interest for chick-lit.




Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1)Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I'm giving it a 2 since I kind of want to give it a 3 but can easily give it the 1.
I probably would have loved it in high school, but now it kind of made me very happy to be out of that age group.
It felt over done and over dramatic.

And I actually liked the audio this time around. Except the voice of Grace seemed too young and Sam came off kind of old; also he sounded kind of sarcastic during the "romantic" moments and too excited during the dramatic parts.

Wicked (Pretty Little Liars, #5)Wicked by Sara Shepard
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm not sure how much of the plot actually made sense.



Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I actually didn't really like the characters, they didn't have distinct personalities. Celaena seems kind of surly, which alright I'll accept she's an assassin it's her nature. But then at other times she was kind of a snob.
And the whole thing could have used a background story.


White Cat (Curse Workers, #1)White Cat by Holly Black
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I did and didn't like it. I always feel like Holly Black's books have something missing, keeping me from really enjoying them.


No comments:

Post a Comment