Friday, December 14, 2012

12 Days of Christmas - Top Ten Reviewed Books

JennReneeRead is celebrating not only the season of giving but  also books (which really we celebrate any chance we get.) , with the 12 Days of Christmas blog event, in which she is spotlighting and giving away a book a day.

Since "Best of" list and Top Ten's are everywhere right now I've decided to spotlight my ten favorite books that were given to me for review this year.

Unfortunately I don't have any to give away but a few are free so books for everyone!

(Books are in order by date read. Prices are for ebooks.)

Rae of Hope1) Rae of Hope by W.J. May
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

...It. Was. Awesome. The characters are all so great, I loved their personalities they were so well written.

I had moments when I was so caught up in this book that I actually wanted to start yelling at Rae and tell her what to do.

All in all it left me wanting more. A must read for any paranormal/ fantasy fan!

FULL REVIEW

Get it for your Nook for .99 cents

2) The Darkening DreamThe Darkening Dream by Andy Gavin
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Now this is a vampire novel! Don't get me wrong I have nothing against all the cute little "vamps are just like us" books out there; but given the choice I'd much rather read about them doing horrible evil things.
And if a character knows how to use a stake, I'm all for them.

It flows so perfectly between character point of views, it's a great blend of historical fiction, mythology and paranormal I couldn't get through it quicker.

Full Review

Read the first 7 chapters on Goodreads, then realize it is awesome and buy it anywhere for 2.99.

3)Intangible Intangible by J. Meyers
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It's about a prophecy. I love prophecies, I'm a believer in fate, so I love seeing (or reading) people trying to avert it and finding out that you can't.
Which is also why I loved Luke's visions, just wondering how his actions would affect the outcome of it all.

I don't know how much of a spoiler this is, since I read it in another review and if you look people have shelved it under the genre, but there are vampires involved. No one told me there would be vampires. I don't have a problem with vampires, I really don't. I was just kind of thrown off. And therefore I didn't really care for the vampire Jonas.
Also their friend Quinn was totally random, if this were a murder mystery he'd be the one you'd be lead to suspect before you're told that the butler did it.

FULL REVIEW

Purchase the ebook and you can get a signed bookmark and temporary tattoo!

4) A Healing Heart A Healing Heart by Melissa A. Hanson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was really sweet, and not a "this is so cheesy" sweet that I always call out on, well alright it had it's moments but it never went too far. It's so simple and yet it's that simplicity that made it great.

Read it in two days how I managed to put it down in between I don't know. I actually found myself longing to go home and finish it. I can't say the last time I did that for a book.
I loved (and hate) that it made me feel something, I was so immersed in it.

FULL REVIEW

5) Dancing Naked in DixieDancing Naked in Dixie by Lauren Clark
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is one of those books that not only reminds me why I love reading but it also serves to show me that it's been a few books since I've truly truly enjoyed reading. I kind of feel like this book found me, like I really needed to read it. I can't explain why, but I connected with Julia, even though we really don't have anything in common it was like I was there with her.
Leave it to great writing.

FULL REVIEW

6) The Girl (Guardians, #1)The Girl by Lola St.Vil
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I did not think I’d like this as much as I did.
And I l liked it a lot. A LOT.

The characters are beyond amazing; I couldn’t help getting drawn into each of their personalities. Even before I reached the end I already wanted more.

Loved about it: Besides the characters. The flow, the story starts right away and runs throughout without stopping to drone out some explanation. Explanations were nicely intertwined with the story resulting in very few dull moments. Story, story, story, explanation, explanation, story, explanation, story.

FULL REVIEW

FREE on Amazon and Smashwords.

7) Into the Shadows (Into the Shadows, #1)Into the Shadows by Karly Kirkpatrick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Well that was something...

I see Hunger Games in the description and I think dystopia; which might be where it's going towards the end but not where it starts.
I might have given this 5 stars but it kind of took a while to develop. Maybe it's because I was looking for a dystopia, but it starts off as a typical young adult novel.

My turning point was, obviously the story's turning point. I'm a fan of human behavior, and therefore drawn to points in history when human behavior wasn't at it's best, which is pretty much the basis of this book. Seeing everyone go into "witch hunt" mode was what hooked me.
I was so caught up in it I couldn't help but think what I would do in Paivi's situation if I would fight back, run or just sit back and take it. Same question, what if that were to happen today. Would I also shun the sudden "outcasts" or want to protect them?

FULL REVIEW

Free on Amazon and Smashrwords.

8) Transcendent: Tales of the ParanormalTranscendent: Tales of the Paranormal by Lani Woodland
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Normally with anthologies I'll separate the stories and individually rate and review each one, but I'm not going to do that this time. That would be like singling one out as a favorite, it's just not possible.

These eight stories are sweet, mysterious, and a couple are even a little scary; the perfect combination for any paranormal fan.

FULL REVIEW

9) Timeless (Transcend Time Saga, #3)Timeless by Michelle Madow
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I loved the idea and I loved spending more time with Lizzie and Drew,
It's so different from the first which really makes it it's own story.

Pro: amazing plot and a great love story.
Con: I didn't feel like the characters were as "inviting" this time around; also not really a "con" but it kept reminding me of Taylor Swift's song Forever and Always which isn't a love song so that was a little weird.

FULL REVIEW

10) In the Shadow of the Moonlight - The AwakeningIn the Shadow of the Moonlight - The Awakening by J.J. Bidell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It's somewhat simple and the beginning is pretty slow but the end is very much worth it
It's a great start to what I'm sure will become a great series.

FULL REVIEW

 

No comments:

Post a Comment