Monday, December 24, 2012

Top Ten Books I Read in 2012


It hasn't really hit me yet that the year is pretty much over so I'm not completely sure what to say about it. I haven't even processed that it's Christmas Eve.
Is that bad? Christmas for me is usually like Charlie Brown's or the Grinch it gets me in the end.

Anyways 90 books read this year, 21 were audio but still, a lot to choose from.
I've actually eliminated my reviewed books since I already made them a top ten list a few weeks ago.

 
Brightest Kind of DarknessBrightest Kind of Darkness by P.T. Michelle
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
One thing I can't stand when I give a book like this 5 stars is that I can never explain why. It's such a great story I wish I could say why I liked it as much as I did, but it'll take me forever to find any words to fit it.
I can't even go after the few things I disliked... which I actually think made me like it even more.

Speak
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Laurie Halse Anderson said she didn't want to write this because it would be like revisiting high school; by page 5 I was feeling the same way about reading it.
I did and didn't like it.


The Goddess Test (Goddess Test, #1)The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Of the three Persephone myth retellings I've read this year this is definitely my favorite. It had more mythology to it, so because of that I was able to get a little more into it. Also probably because Kate had other things to worry about other than Henry being "so hot."

Insatiable
Insatiable  by Meg Cabot
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I can't believe this is the second vampire novel I'm giving a 5 to this year. And this one is a romance. Although it is a Meg Cabot novel so I shouldn't be too surprised.
It could have been a few 50-100 pages shorter, some things felt dragged on but I know if they had been glazed over I'd complain about that too.
It was slow to start but once the story fully developed (or you know when the vamp hunter showed up) I couldn't stop. Which I haven't done since the last Meg Cabot book I gave 5 stars to.
I'd also like to add it's sequel Overbite. 

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
What's the opposite of "damsel in distress"? Because this really made me realize that I prefer and very much love those. No brooders, no "I'll die if I can't have him!"s. As much as we can compare to the helpless socially-awkward bookish types in most books, how can we not be incredibly drawn to the flirty outgoing "I'll punch you if you get in my way" type?
I really love characters who are not afraid to smack people around for their friends.
It had it's moments of predictability but I actually liked that, I don't know I guess I like being able to get in an author's head and guess where they're going with a story.

Divergent (Divergent, #1)
Divergent by Veronica Roth
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I'll admit it I kind of didn't want to like this. And truthfully I wasn't about to jump on the bandwagon until maybe 60/70 percent in.
I have some pretty strong feelings towards this book; both good and very good. And well some bad, mainly the stereotype high school-ness in the first half. The jerk that bullies everyone else (who I was very close to psychoanalyzing, just for my own amusement), the tough protective friend, the snob, and the guy you have to feel sorry for but can't because you just want to tell him to suck it up.
If the controlling government hadn't shown up I probably would have given it a 4, so it's a good thing they came along.

Juliet ImmortalJuliet Immortal by Stacey Jay
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
There are a few cheesy moments, but it's YA so that's forgivable.

The Selection (The Selection, #1)
The Selection by Kiera Cass
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I know everyone is pretty tired of the whole love triangle plot but I haven't spent too much time with them or actually cared about many of them, so this would be the first to actually interest me.
Plus I'm the princess type.

Just one question: everyone keeps comparing it to The Hunger Games: how is this that?


The Lost ValentineThe Lost Valentine by James Michael Pratt
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I can't say the last time, or if ever, that I finished a book and immediately wanted to read it again. I'm not even sure what to say, well I do but I'm going to have to bring out my cheesy side and say it kind of made me believe in love. To be specific the kind of love Caroline and Neil shared.


Going Bovine
Going Bovine by Libba Bray
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars
 Just because I love the whole mind warped reality I don't even know what to call it thing. And a lot of that actually bothered me, I spent a lot of time just thinking "Dude what kind of drugs have you done?" Yeah, yeah I know he actually wasn't on drugs.
I'm going to have to actually read this one.

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, from a new GFC follower.

    A great selection: I haven’t read all of these, but quite a few are on my TBR list! :)

    My Top 10 Reads: http://coffeecookiesandchilipeppers.blogspot.com/2012/12/top-10-of-2012-best-books-read-in-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. neat! you will find my list in this post:
    http://wordsandpeace.com/2013/01/03/year-of-reading-2012/

    ReplyDelete