Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Toadhouse Trilogy: Book One - Review

The Toadhouse Trilogy (Book #1)The Toadhouse Trilogy by Jess Lourey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Published July 17th 2012 by Toadhouse Books

Aine (pronounced "Aw-nee") believes herself to be a regular teenager in 1930s Alabama, but when a blue-eyed monster named Biblos attacks, she discovers that the reclusive woman raising her isn't really her grandmother and that she's been living inside a book for the past five years. With her blind brother, Spenser, she flees the pages of the novel she's called home, one terrifying step ahead of Biblos' black magic. Her only chance at survival lies in beating him to the three objects that he desires more than life.
As she undertakes her strange and dangerous odyssey, Aine must choose between a family she doesn't remember and her growing attraction to a mysterious young man named Gilgamesh. Only through treacherous adventures into The Time Machine, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, A Tale of Two Cities, and the epic Indian saga The Ramayana will she learn her true heritage and restore the balance of the worlds... if she can stay alive.

Here's an expression I rarely, as in never, use: what fun!

That's what the adventure in this book is, fun.
I loved it.

This is like the favorite book from my childhood that I never had. Someone needs to get me a time machine so I can take this back ten years and make myself read it. If there had been more books like this back then it wouldn't have taken me so long to become an avid reader.
And not only that but I mainly read classics back then so it would have expanded that also.

I'll admit, when starting the epilogue didn't catch me I was just thinking "oh no what kind of made up farfetched fairy world did I get myself into this time?" but then the story started and I completely forgot about all those thoughts.
It's imaginative, semi-original, (I say "semi-" because a few times I was reminded of other things. But that's actually a good thing because I love all those other things!) and again a lot of fun.
Who wouldn't want to travel around in books?

And really that's pretty much what this book is; a readers dream. We do travel around in books, but you have to admit there are probably a few (or a lot of) books we would love to immerse ourselves completely in.
Such as this one.


And I'm not one to judge a book for it's cover, but look at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment