Friday, January 25, 2013

Two and Twenty Dark Tales

Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose RhymesTwo and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In this anthology, 20 authors explore the dark and hidden meanings behind some of the most beloved Mother Goose nursery rhymes through short story retellings. The dark twists on classic tales range from exploring whether Jack truly fell or if Jill pushed him instead to why Humpty Dumpty, fragile and alone, sat atop so high of a wall. The authors include Nina Berry, Sarwat Chadda, Leigh Fallon, Gretchen McNeil, and Suzanne Young.


This will probably sound weird but I liked the stories where the main characters died at the end more. And there are actually quite a few.
Because of that I'm going to put up a spoiler warning mainly because I'll be naming a few names (mainly the ones that stuck with me):
{SPOLIERS}

I loved the mythology in Jessie Harrell's I Come Baring Souls that's one I would love to have seen as a full story. Gretchen McNeil's Tick Tock was awesome, I don't think a story has ever creeped me out like that. And Leigh Fallon's Wee Willie Winkie was good but could have used a little more maybe. The Wish by Suzanne Young: predictable but I liked it.



{Alright spoilers over.}

The reason I think a few didn't appeal to me much is because Mother Goose rhymes already have a dark story behind them. Most of them do anyway; and spinning a whole new story from something that I already know it's dark origins felt odd.

With some the backstory of the rhyme was even darker than the one being told.
Oh a scary paranormal being threating to kill (or actually doing so), yeah your rhyme is about dead people!
Which I guess would fit with the paranormal being killing.
Hmm.. there's a thought.

But either way with any anthology some stories were better than others. But they were all good (well the ones I read my copy was missing a few), they're pretty imaginative and a there are a handful that would have been great as full novels.

Plus I found new authors that I would love to check out.

No comments:

Post a Comment