Friday, May 24, 2013

Historical Fiction Reading Challenge Update

I can't believe I haven't done any updates for any challenges. That's not true, I'm not all that surprised, the only reason I updated the audiobook challenge was because I got an email reminding me.
For today I'm updating the Historical Fiction Challenge, I'll save the TBR Challenge for next month.

Haven't spent too much time with the genre, unlike previous years. But I am halfway to my goal of 10.

Historical fictions read this year:

 
Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I am so confused, on so many different levels. I'm gonna call it a 3.5, and partially blame it on being an audiobook.
Overall though; it's too much and not enough to be considered different from everything else out there.




My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It kind of reminded me of the story Michele Jaffe wrote for Prom Nights From Hell, which was my favorite in that anthology.
 
 
 

Tuck EverlastingTuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

High 3





Ripped: A Jack the Ripper Time-Travel Thriller
Ripped: A Jack the Ripper Time-Travel Thriller by Shelly Dickson Carr
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

There are more than a few moments where you just want to say "Get on with it!" Even if those moments did tie into the story I felt like I had to take notes to keep up. And Katie, before finishing I made the mistake of saying "well at least she didn't make a Google reference," and then of course, a few pages later, she did. I don't want to say she's dumb because she wasn't, she just didn't think things through which was the annoying part.

It's a great mystery and I loved going back in time and experiencing this new (or old as it was) world with Katie. I especially loved the style of talking.
But it was a bit tedious.

The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)The Diviners by Libba Bray
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It's the bee's knee!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment