Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Princess Diaries Revisited 4-6

Never before has the world seen such a princess.

Nor have her own subjects, for that matter. Mia's royal introduction to Genovia has mixed results: while her fashion sense is widely applauded, her position on the installation of public parking meters is met with resistance.

But the politics of bureaucracy are nothing next to Mia's real troubles. Between canceled dates with her long—sought—after royal consort, a second semester of the dreaded Algebra, more princess lessons from Grandmère as a result of the Genovian parking—meter thing, and the inability to stop gnawing on her fingernails, isn't there anything Mia is good at besides inheriting an unwanted royal title?


February 2004 
Princess in Waiting (The Princess Diaries, #4)Princess in Waiting by Meg Cabot
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My thoughts on the book after I read it the first time:
WARNING I WAS OVERLY OBSESSED WITH THE SERIES SO FAR SO BE WARNED THAT THE FOLLOWING IS PRETTY MUCH THE RAMBLINGS OF A 14 YEAR OLD GIRL
February 13, 2004
I have found true love! To bad it's with a fictional character, unless there really is someone like that out there... Yeah I finished the last PD book, as in no more of that for me. (Unless I reread them which I probably will.)
I'm never going to read another book in my life, none can top this or I don't want it to be topped.


Feel free to make fun of me for this one, I was way out there, and that's only the half of it. It was also before I knew there was going to be ten in the series, I didn't even know there would be a fifth.

May 2013
My rating: 3 of 5 stars [Rating Change]

We're all on the same page here that nothing actually happens in this one right? Just that we're reminded that Michael is perfect?
I'll admit though, rereading this series might have bought out the easily smitten side of me out again.
This book is the reason I: read Jane Eyre, did not get the appeal of Mr. Rochester.
Pop culture note: Mia mentions two celebrity couples that are no longer together, and three that are no longer living.


Hammer in hand, Princess Mia embarks on an epic adventure for one so admittedly unhandy: Along with her cohorts from school, she's off to build houses for the less fortunate. It doesn't take Mia long to realize that helping others -- while an unimpeachably noble pastime -- is very hard work. Will her giving spirit prevail? Will the house collapse due to royally clumsy construction? And most importantly, will Michael stop working long enough to kiss her?

May 2004
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
 
Read it in about 30 minutes, I practically had to tie myself down not to.
 
May 2013
Enjoyed it just as much as the first time.

 
Things are looking up for Mia: She's the newest staffer on the school paper, and her miraculous completion of freshman Algebra is just around the corner. Plus she's about to get a new baby brother or sister. Could things possibly get any better?

But in her heart of hearts, Mia has one wish: an evening spent with Michael in a tux and a corsage on her wrist -- in other words, the PROM. Michael, however, does not seem to share the dream that is the prom. Worse still, a service workers strike (with Grandmere and Lilly at the heart of it and on opposite sides) threatens the very existence of this year's prom.

Will the strike end in time? Can Michael be dissuaded from his anti-prom views? Most importantly, will Mia get to wear her pink prom dress?

May 2004
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

No comments made after reading it the first time.
Safe to say I was probably really smitten. And I do remember having to hide it in the trunk of the car so I wouldn't read it right away.


May 2013
My rating: 3 of 5 stars [Rating Change]

PROM!
These books were my teen years.

At this point I was getting a little tired of all the teen-ness, which is what I loved about these books, so I skipped a few parts, like Mia's birthday, her party and the Boris incident, don't think I missed much except Mia and Lilly's fight which I didn't remember, I can't say if I ever liked Lilly.


Princess for president Student body president, that is -- nominated by her power-mad best friend, Lilly. This is not how Mia imagined kicking off her sophomore year, but as usual, she has bigger problems to worry about, like Geometry. And now that Mia's one true love, Michael, is uptown at college, what's the point of even getting up for school in the morning? But the last straw is what Lana whispers to her on the lunch line about what college boys expect of their girlfriends. . . . Really, it's almost more than a princess in training can bear.
 
April 2005
Princess in Training (The Princess Diaries, #6)
Princess in Training by Meg Cabot
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

First in the series I wasn't crazy about, probably because of the way Lilly and Grandmere kept driving Mia crazy. Not to mention Michael's admission at the end, the whole thing just felt awkward.

May 2013
Like with Princess in Pink, I did some even heavier skimming in this one. I didn't even acknowledge Lilly and Grandmere, this time it was Mia herself driving herself crazy. Over not wanting to have sex.
Is it a self-actualization thing that she just couldn't admit it to herself what she did and didn't want? Was she that obsessed with having a boyfriend that she would accept the fact that he only wanted her for sex?
Honestly I don't even think I want an answer to that. And how old was Michael? Almost 18? Mia was 15, she'd only had one boyfriend. There'd be a lot of backlash had she decided to do anything. (This was back in a time when teens didn't do that in books.)

No comments:

Post a Comment