Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Princess Diaries Revisited 6.5-7.75

Ask Meg Cabot a Question
Monday's Post: The Princess Diaries, Princess in the Spotlight, Princess in Love
Tuesday's Post: Princess in Waiting, Princess in Pink, Princess in Training

Today I'm covering Party Princess and the halves surrounding it. Since I don't have convenient access to my bookshelf I wasn't able to reread the halves so only Party Princess has a new review.

Mia would give all the jewels in Genovia for the perfect present
Every year, Princess Mia spends the holidays in Genovia with Grandmère. This year, she's looking forward to the most perfect Christmas ever: her boyfriend, Michael, and her best friend, Lilly, are coming to Genovia, too.
But even a princess's plans can go awry. Lilly has a lot to learn about palace protocol, and with all the state holiday functions Mia must attend, there's no time to linger under the mistletoe with Michael. Worst of all, Mia hasn't been able to find him the perfect gift.
Can Mia stop her (bah-hum)bugging long enough to see that the perfect present has nothing to do with international express courier -- and everything to do with real love? (Though some shiny silver ribbon never hurts ...)


September 2005
The Princess Present (The Princess Diaries, #6.5)The Princess Present by Meg Cabot
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Leave it to Meg to give me a favorite holiday story. Plus I love the original story it's based on, The Gift of the Magi*.

*At least I'm guessing it's based on that.


Princess just want to have fun . . . And Mia does too, despite the fact that the student government over which she presides is suddenly broke. But Grandmere's got a wacky scheme to raise the money, catapult Mia to theatrical fame, and link her romantically with an eligible teen bachelor who's not her boyfriend. No wonder Michael seems to think she's a psycho, or worse: not much fun. Is it possible that Mia, soon-to-be star of the stage, president of the student body, and future ruler of Genovia, doesn't know how to party?

February 2007
Party Princess (The Princess Diaries, #7)Party Princess by Meg Cabot
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I'm going to admit I was probably a little jealous of Mia, which would explain why I would get annoyed about her being so naïve. As for her insecurities; I can't say I was ever that far gone so it was hard to understand why she always expected her world to fall apart.
And I had my world fall away before. And at that point in my life I was 6 months away from it happening again.

June 2013
Party Princess (The Princess Diaries, #7)Party Princess by Meg Cabot
My rating: 4 of 5 stars [MAJOR Rating Change]

I enjoyed this more than I did the first time I read it, I don't know why. It might because of what I said after rereading Princess in Love, that now that I know what's coming at the end, everything is different.


 Sixteen is the magic number

Mia doesn't always have the best luck with parties, so even though it's her sweet sixteenth, she doesn't want a birthday bash. As usual, Grandmere has other ideas, and thinks a reality TV special is just the thing in order to celebrate royally. The whole scheme smacks of Lilly's doing -- Lilly, whose own TV show is still only limited to local cable viewers.

Will Mia be able to stop Grandmere's plan? Will her friends ever forgive her if she does stop it, since it involves all of them taking the royal jet to Genovia for an extravaganza the likes of which would turn even Paris Hilton green with envy? Why can't Mia get what she really wants: an evening alone with Michael?

With a little luck, this sweet sixteen princess might just get her wish -- a birthday that's royally romantic.


June 2011
Sweet Sixteen Princess (The Princess Diaries, #7.5)Sweet Sixteen Princess by Meg Cabot
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

There wasn't much of a story to it, but it did remind me of all the times in 9th grade when I would sit around in my computer class reading Meg Cabot's blog. Which are the few memories I have of 9th grade.


When you're Princess Mia, nothing happens the way it's supposed to. For one thing, Grandmère seems determined to prove that boy (or Michael, as he is commonly known) isn't the right one for the crown princess of Genovia. And Mia isn't having much luck proving otherwise, since Michael has a history of being decidedly against any kind of exploitative commercialization (Valentine's Day, as it is commonly known).

Boris can declare his love openly to Lilly, and even Kenny comes through with a paltry Whitman's Sampler. So why can't Michael give in to Cupid and tell Mia he loves her—preferably with something wrapped in red or pink and accompanied by roses—in time to prove he's Mia's true prince?


April 2011
Valentine Princess (The Princess Diaries, #7.75)Valentine Princess by Meg Cabot
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I probably would have really loved this when I was 14, too bad it came out when I was 16 and I didn't get to read it until 5 years later. Now at 21 a majority of it had me rolling my eyes at how sappy high school kids make Valentine's Day (especially girls, Mia above all).

I think I might have liked it as a full story because it was pretty good but since it was barely 100 pages things couldn't really go anywhere.

Note: Before reading this it had been like 10 months since the last Meg Cabot book I read, last time I went that long was probably 10 months before I knew about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment