Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Princess Diaries Revisited 8 & 9

Ask Meg Cabot a Question!
The Princess Diaries, Princess in the Spotlight, Princess in Love
Princess in Waiting, Princess in Pink, Princess in Training
The Princess Present, Party Princess, Sweet Sixteen Princess, Valentine Princess

At last, Mia is a junior. An upper classperson. Free of her responsibilities as student body president. So why is it that everything is going so terribly wrong? What is she doing in Intro to Creative Writing? When she has made it through Algebra and Geometry, why must she be faced with Precalculus? And for the love of all that is Genovian, why has Lilly nominated her for school prez again?
All this is nothing compared to the news Michael springs on her, however. On top of all the mathematical strife, her beloved boyfriend is leaving for Japan for a year. Precalc has nothing on preparing for the worst separation ever!
Turns out there is one way she might convince Michael to stay. But will she? Or won't she? No matter what, Mia seems headed for disaster.


January 2008
Princess on the Brink (The Princess Diaries, #8)Princess on the Brink by Meg Cabot
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Unfortunately there's no original thoughts for this one; but I'm pretty sure I was mad at Mia for thinking that having sex with Michael would get her what she wants.


June 2013
Princess on the Brink (The Princess Diaries, #8)Princess on the Brink by Meg Cabot
My rating: 5 of 5 stars [MAJOR Rating Change]

I have to give this a 5 because I had a lot of emotions flying through my head while listening to this, (short of someone dying that's highly rare for me) probably because I knew what was coming.
I wish I had written something when I first read it, because my opinion has definitely changed. Although that's true for the first 5, so of course it's me that's changed in the last five to ten years.

Random observation: Much like my observation of Airhead in Princess in the Spotlight, we get another "coincidental tease" for a future book. This one in the form of a certain demon hunter.
While Mia is writing a screenplay of her life and writing what happened when her father told her she is a princess she decides to "color" things up by adding a demon attack and telling her father that she is a demon hunter for the Vatican.
I'm pretty sure I liked that story idea even before I met Alaric Wulf.


A Princess on her own . . .

Mia has been invited to speak at a gala for Domina Rei, an elite society of powerful businesswomen. But what could she possibly have to say? Michael has broken up with her, her bff Lilly won't speak to her, and her parents are forcing her to see a therapist. Even J.P.'s efforts to cheer Mia up (he's being really sweet!) aren't helping.

Just when things couldn't get worse, Mia discovers a long--forgotten diary of a teenage princess of Genovia. It could be just the inspiration Mia needs to write her speech--but what it reveals might change everything.


February 2009
Princess Mia (The Princess Diaries, #9)Princess Mia by Meg Cabot
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Again no original thoughts for this one, probably bored with it since half of it is Mia depressed in bed.


August 2013
4 of 5 stars [Rating Change]

I wish I could remember why I gave some of these books such low ratings the first time. I do know it was more me than the books themselves, I had just turned 19 when I read this, obviously a lot had changed from when I picked up the first at 13.
This time I really felt for Mia and her depression and I understood her "who cares" attitude a lot better.
And I know by the end of the series we're all probably suppose to hate J.P, at least a little, but looking back on his role in Mia's life; he did change her for the better. She learned from her mistakes because of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment