Monday, December 30, 2013

#1 of 2013 - The Goddess Inheritance by Aimee Carter

 
The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test, #3)The Goddess Inheritance by Aimee Carter
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Published February 26th 2013 by Harlequin Teen

Love or life.
Henry or their child.
The end of her family or the end of the world.
Kate must choose.


During nine months of captivity, Kate Winters has survived a jealous goddess, a vengeful Titan and a pregnancy she never asked for. Now the Queen of the Gods wants her unborn child, and Kate can't stop her--until Cronus offers a deal.

In exchange for her loyalty and devotion, the King of the Titans will spare humanity and let Kate keep her child. Yet even if Kate agrees, he'll destroy Henry, her mother and the rest of the council. And if she refuses, Cronus will tear the world apart until every last god and mortal is dead.

With the fate of everyone she loves resting on her shoulders, Kate must do the impossible: find a way to defeat the most powerful being in existence, even if it costs her everything.

Even if it costs her eternity.



The Ultimate of 2013

Review Originally Posted Here: February 25.


As I get ready to write a review for a book like this I always feel like I need to pour myself out for it just reach in and let it all out. And if I could write as well as this book was written I might.
It's books like this that make me want to take a break from reading, it's so amazingly good that I can't think of starting another. I was so lost in it from the beginning I was completely immersed in the world created.

It reminded me of the feeling I get when I listen to classical music it just washes over you. Close your eyes and let the sounds take you somewhere else
Of course you can't read with your eyes closed but you'll be so caught up in the words in front of you you'd think you were.

This also causes a common problem with me I love it so much I can't say why.
Well I probably could but it'd end up sounding like a love letter.
I love the characters, the relationship between the characters, everything they have to go through and most of all; the emotions they feel.

This is still definitely my favorite retelling of the Persephone myth I've read. It's not just about Kate and Henry, it's about Kate and her mother, Kate and the rest of her family and now Kate and her baby.
The story of Kate and her baby, what a mother won't do for her child, the fight she had to fight for her baby is amazing on it's own. But then of course we have the fight everyone else had to fight, and it was none stop. Possibly the perfect ending for the trilogy which had a pretty tame start I never would have expected this is where it was going when I picked up the first book six months ago.

Something interesting I noticed is that it mainly takes place in three places: the throne room, the nursery and a bedroom. That says a lot about the story, it can all be done in so few locations.

Another thing I notice was that it kind of went back to the original Persephone myth with it beginning with Kate kidnapped and being forced to live with a man she could never love, who wants her to be his queen. And of course she never will love him but she does feel compassion for him.

Kate is immortal like everyone else in the book but she is still so human and she has flaws such as diving in head first without talking it through with anyone but that's what makes her so relatable which again makes me love her more. She proves that no one is perfect, including the gods.

Starting the final book in any series no matter how long they are; be it three books, six books or even ten is always hard because we no once we get to the end that's it for us, the only choice we have for being with those characters again is to read them all again. Which I immediately wanted to and will mostly do first chance I get. We have to say goodbye to characters we've grown to love over years, months or maybe even weeks of reading but sometimes an ending is so great that you're ok with it, you're happy with the road they'll be taking. You're ok with it because you've loved together, you've lost together and you've been through so much together that you know it's time to let go and have new adventures with new characters. You'll never forget them and you'll always remember their stories and you know they'll always be there for you when you need them again. And I will most definitely be going back to Olympus or the Underworld when I can.


It's so fast pace that the writing might get a bit confusing at times. At least I was. Characters randomly showed up unannounced and there are a lot of unexpected changes, which ARE what make the book so good but again a bit confusing.

To stop that, I started listening to music which is when I came up with the above theory.
While listening I decided the perfect song to go with how I feel about the book.
I know authors sometimes make up playlist for their books which I would love for this one but after a while the music I was listening to started to match the scene so perfectly: slow and sad during the sad scenes quick and intense during the fighting scenes I realized what this really needs is a score.
 




11 Months Later:
It took forever for me to listen to this song and not think of The Goddess Inheritance.
Honestly, sometimes, I still think about it when I hear it.

This is also my favorite review I wrote this year. It's so long! I just let it all out, as best as I could with this. So much went though my mind while not only reading the book but writing my review for it, and I still think a few things were left unsaid.

While reading The Goddess Inheritance there was a part of my mind making a list of what to read next; because I knew that once I had finished it would haunt my mind until I found something new to distract me.
It did. And it was about six months before I fully stopped thinking about it.
So much for distractions.

Of course three months later when I found out that Aimee Carter would be at the Los Angeles Book Fair I just had to go.
Got six books signed but this here is my main reason for going!
 
 
 
Honorable Mention:
 
Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)Pawn by Aimee Carter
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Published November 26th 2013 by Harlequin TEEN

YOU CAN BE A VII. IF YOU GIVE UP EVERYTHING.

For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country.

If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked—surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister's niece, who died under mysterious circumstances. As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter.

There's only one catch. She must also stop the rebellion that Lila secretly fostered, the same one that got her killed …and one Kitty believes in. Faced with threats, conspiracies and a life that's not her own, she must decide which path to choose—and learn how to become more than a pawn in a twisted game she's only beginning to understand.




#11

 
It's a great start to what I'm sure will become an awesome series.

Kitty is an instant new favorite character; from page one I not only felt for her but wanted to know much more about her. She goes through and grows so much in this one alone that I can't wait to see who she will becomes at the end of the series.
(No pressure there.)

All the characters in the story are equally great and equally loveable. They're all so real, it didn't even feel like meeting new characters it was more like revisiting old friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment