Sunday, December 29, 2013

#2 of 2013 - Beauty Queens By Libba Bray

 
Beauty Queens (Audio CD)Beauty Queens by Libba Bray
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Published May 24th 2011 by Scholastic Press

The fifty contestants in the Miss Teen Dream pageant thought this was going to be a fun trip to the beach, where they could parade in their state-appropriate costumes and compete in front of the cameras. But sadly, their airplane had another idea, crashing on a desert island and leaving the survivors stranded with little food, little water, and practically no eyeliner.

What's a beauty queen to do? Continue to practice for the talent portion of the program - or wrestle snakes to the ground? Get a perfect tan - or learn to run wild? And what should happen when the sexy pirates show up?

Welcome to the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Your tour guide? None other than Libba Bray, the hilarious, sensational, Printz Award-winning author of A Great and Terrible Beauty and Going Bovine. The result is a novel that will make you laugh, make you think, and make you never see beauty the same way again.



The Hilarious One
(fun word "hilarious").


*high five* Libba!
That's both the gesture and the rating.

This book really isn't for everyone. If you can't see the humor in the dumb and silly don't read this.

But really this book actually is for everyone, there's so many characters that it's hard not to connect with one of them.


As for the audio: read by Libba Bray, best character voices EVER! It's crazy good, I still don't believe it was all one person.



10 Months Later:
I had originally wanted to read this, instead of listening to the audio. I usually reserve audiobooks for books I'm curious about but have no intentions of running out to read. Or am desperate to get to quickly- such as this one and number 8 on this list Percy Jackson and the Olympians.
Plus when I saw that Libba Bray herself was the narrator, there was no resisting.

Only problem? I listen to audiobooks in class while working and well it definitely earned it's title as "hilarious."
I started listening to it and only made it in 30 minutes before I decided that this book was better read in the privacy of my own room where people won't give me the "she's crazy" look.
Though, with me I don't need an audiobook to make people think that about me.

So I did stop, probably started Ashes, Ashes, and that was that. Until a few weeks later when I got sick (which happened a lot this year,) and was about to start Wintergirls. I don't know about you; but when feeling nauseous the last thing I want to hear is a sad story about a girl with an eating disorder. Wintergirls was put off for a week and I went to my other listening option: Beauty Queens. Which made me feel a million times better!

Like I said it's "crazy good."



5 Favorite Quotes:
(Because I couldn't do 3!)

“Sometimes I just want to go in a room and break things and scream. Like, it’s so much pressure all the time and if you get upset or angry, people say, ‘Are you on the rag of something?’ And it’s like I want to say, ‘No. I’m just pissed off right now. Can’t I just be pissed off? How come that’s not okay for me?’ Like my dad will say, ‘I can’t talk to you when you’re hysterical.’ And I’m totally not being hysterical! I’m just mad. And he’s the one losing it. But then I feel embarrassed anyway. So I slap on that smile and pretend everything’s okay even though it’s not.”  

“The world expected girls to pluck and primp and put on heels. Meanwhile, boys dressed in rumpled T-shirts and baggy pants and misplace their combs, and yet you were suppose to fall at their feet? Unacceptable.”  

“There's an "or" in "whore" because you always have a choice to respect your body and say no.”

“It's always darkest before the ultimate sparkle.”

“Because 'You're perfect just the way you are,' is what your guidance counselor says. And she's an alcoholic.”




Honorable Mention:

The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)The Diviners by Libba Bray
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Published September 18th 2012 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers            

Evie O’Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City—and she is pos-i-tute-ly ecstatic. It’s 1926, and New York is filled with speakeasies, Ziegfeld girls, and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is that she has to live with her uncle Will and his unhealthy obsession with the occult.

Evie worries he’ll discover her darkest secret: a supernatural power that has only brought her trouble so far. But when the police find a murdered girl branded with a cryptic symbol and Will is called to the scene, Evie realizes her gift could help catch a serial killer.

As Evie jumps headlong into a dance with a murderer, other stories unfold in the city that never sleeps. A young man named Memphis is caught between two worlds. A chorus girl named Theta is running from her past. A student named Jericho hides a shocking secret. And unknown to all, something dark and evil has awakened.




#2.5

It's the bee's knee!



11 Months Later:
I have listened to so much music from the '20s because of this book. I still continue my attempt to speak like a flapper.

Only reason this didn't officially place was because, other than already having one book by Libba Bray on the list- like to be fair no matter how much I'd like to fill it with repeated authors- I started reading it when I went to the signing back last year in October. So by the time I got to it this year I was about halfway in, and see it as both a 2012 and 2013 book.

No comments:

Post a Comment