Thursday, December 26, 2013

#5 of 2013 - Delirium by Lauren Oliver

 
Delirium (Delirium, #1)Delirium by Lauren Oliver
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Published February 3rd 2011 by HarperTeen

Lena Haloway is content in her safe, government-managed society. She feels (mostly) relaxed about the future in which her husband and career will be decided, and looks forward to turning 18, when she’ll be cured of deliria, a.k.a. love. She tries not to think about her mother’s suicide (her last words to Lena were a forbidden “I love you”) or the supposed “Invalid” community made up of the uncured just beyond her Portland, Maine, border. There’s no real point—she believes her government knows how to best protect its people, and should do so at any cost.
But 95 days before her cure, Lena meets Alex, a confident and mysterious young man who makes her heart flutter and her skin turn red-hot. As their romance blossoms, Lena begins to doubt the intentions of those in power, and fears that her world will turn gray should she submit to the procedure.


The One I'm Glad I Gave A Chance


This made me realize that with dystopias I'm not even going to bother reading descriptions since those are what usually turn me off, but I somehow end up reading them anyway and totally love them.
I had wanted to avoid this since it's overall theme is love and I kind of figured; well that's a little obvious. And had I not received Pandemonium I probably would have never bothered.

But I'm so glad I did the writing is so lyrical, and poetic without trying to be. It's like a song.



8 Months Later:
While I can't say it's really stuck with me after all this time- maybe just a few weeks- this one is going down as a long term favorite. If asked what my favorite book is, this one would most definitely be one of the first to come to mind.
Let's call it my deserted island book.



My Meeting with the Author
Met her at the Los Angeles Book Fair back in April. It was the end of the day I was tired and she was awesome.
You gotta love those few people that can make you forget that you're tired and about ready to punch the people with book-filled wagons that make you wait even longer while they get each. one. signed.

Though I have to admit that it took me a while to figure out she underlined the word love.

1 comment:

  1. I need to read Delirium. It looks like a good book and it's been on my TBR forever. That's so awesome that you got to meet her!

    ReplyDelete