Tuesday, December 24, 2013

#7 of 2013 - Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt

 
Going VintageGoing Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Published March 26th 2013 by Bloomsbury

When Mallory’s boyfriend, Jeremy, cheats on her with an online girlfriend, Mallory decides the best way to de-Jeremy her life is to de-modernize things too. Inspired by a list of goals her grandmother made in1962, Mallory swears off technology and returns to a simpler time (when boyfriends couldn’t cheat with computer avatars).

The List:
1. Run for pep club secretary
2. Host a fancy dinner party/soiree
3. Sew a dress for Homecoming
4. Find a steady
5. Do something dangerous


But simple proves to be crazy-complicated, and the details of the past begin to change Mallory’s present. Add in a too-busy grandmother, a sassy sister, and the cute pep-club president–who just happens to be her ex’s cousin–and soon Mallory begins to wonder if going vintage is going too far.


Review Originally Posted Here: March 26, 2013


Ginchiest of 2013
Because when will I ever get the chance again to title a book "Ginchy?"


Loved, loved, loved. So cute!

The story is so bubbly and fun. Mallory is a great YA character. I love that she comes out a stronger person at the end. I've wanted so long to find a character like her.
One that isn't afraid to go against what is normal, technology, and just do her own thing. (Or really her grandmas own thing.)
One that realizes it's not all about the boyfriend. First and foremost, it's about finding who you want to be. What you want to be known for, not just as some guy's girlfriend.

Because as Mallory learned once you lose the guy, or in her case call him a tool and leave him, you might lose yourself. Which is sad.
"Sad" being the nicest word I could think of to describe such a pathetic situation.
But it does happens.

Another thing Mallory learns is no matter how much we ("we" including myself) know we really belong in a different era we're incredibly lucky to be living in this one.  Easy communication with anyone, easy solution to boredom (writing this on my phone as I wait), easy access to practically anything and books like this.

That's mainly what I'm thankful for from this era the huge amount of amazing books we have to choose from and the few that feature girls like Mallory.

And I'm not one to go on professing my love for a guy (fiction or otherwise) but  Oliver: he's a dreamboat. He's the kind of guy that you grow to like throughout the story; it's not exactly love at first sight.

Definitely an instant favorite!



10 Months Later:
This book really did inspire me to "go vintage." I even attempted to document it here, which, of course in hindsight, sounds so dumb. I attempted to give up technology but still use technology to talk about it.
I was fully aware of the reality that it is in no way possible to completely disconnect. First, because of this blog and second it's my main form of contact with anyone.
Which is sad, but not really because contact with people isn't my whole world. If they matter we do talk in person.

My main reason for attempting to join Mallory (how awesome a name is that by the way?) was because I had become way to attached to my phone and while that might have changed at the time, I'm back, if not worst, than when I came to the decision to give it up.
My second goal was to become a better blogger.

As odd as it may seem; yes, I did believe that giving up my time on the internet would make me a better blogger. I spend a lot of time doing random things when I should be blogging- and blogging is like number 4 on the list of things I should be doing- so I was hoping that limiting my time would encourage me to get things done faster.

I think there might have been a slight improvement; but looking at not only the above review but others written at the time, I wrote a lot less, making me question how much time and effort I actually did put into it.

The plan was to give it all up until either July or when my computer was returned to the room it belongs in; whichever came first. Here we are 10 months later and the computer is still not where it belongs and June came and went leaving this blog more neglected than it ever was.
Oh well I am feeling hopeful for this blogs future.



My Awkward Meeting with Author Lindsey Leavitt
. . .well awkward to me.
It was while I was with my mom at a library event in October, we were eating lunch and I saw her {Lindsey Leavitt} eating with her daughter.
I had no idea who she was, but I kind of started wondering if maybe she was an author.

Then I got in a fight with a trash can because my napkin wouldn't go in, and my mom dropped rice- and walked away to get something to drink- which pretty much invited all the pigeons to swoop in on me, which made me yell at my mom when she got back.

Now that I write that down I can understand why Lindsey would give me the look she gave me.

It could have been all said and done... if she hadn't ended up sitting next to me during the panel we went to.
"Hey! Remember me from a few minutes ago? I was the weird girl that practically made a huge scene with the birds outside. Want an eggroll; that is currently sticking out of my jacket?"
In my defense I had just seen the movie The Birds the week before, and I don't even remember what the deal with the eggrolls was.

Panel ended, she moved up and then I realized "You're speaking on the next panel? You are an author!"

Again all said  and done, if I hadn't been planning on getting this book signed later.
Oh and had they NOT been giving away bags of books and she happened to pull out MY name from the raffle bowl.
"Hello again! Now you know my name. See you at the signing, where I will continue acting odd."
Though that's the way I act with most authors at signings, I never know what to say.


A nice thought in hindsight? She probably doesn't remember any of this happening.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment