Monday, December 23, 2013

#8 of 2013 - The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan

 
The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5)The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Published May 5th 2009 by Disney Hyperion Books for Children

All year the half-bloods have been preparing for battle against the Titans, knowing the odds of a victory are grim. Kronos’s army is stronger than ever, and with every god and half-blood he recruits, the evil Titan’s power only grows.

While the Olympians struggle to contain the rampaging monster Typhon, Kronos begins his advance on New York City, where Mount Olympus stands virtually unguarded. Now it’s up to Percy Jackson and an army of young demigods to stop the Lord of Time.


In this momentous final book in the New York Times best-selling series, the long-awaited prophecy surrounding Percy’s sixteenth birthday unfolds. And as the battle for Western civilization rages on the streets of Manhattan, Percy faces a terrifying suspicion that he may be fighting against his own fate.


My "Stop Everything" Book of 2013.

Technically I'm giving the number 8 spot to the entire Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. Not only is it my stop everything book, it's also my "hide in the garage and read" book. And what a lovely day that was.
I am very serious when I say "Stop Everything" because I literally did not get anything done those few days while listening to The Last Olympian. And I had it as an audiobook so that wouldn't happen, listening and working, how hard can it really be?
Well with certain books, very. Especially books about certain demigods.
And what ever work I did get done is now cemented with the memories of whatever was going on in that moment.

Which will probably be a great story behind that work one day: "Yep, I made that Christmas card while Olympus was falling. Very dramatic scene, emotions were flying. Anyway Happy Holidays."


Like with number ten 11 Birthdays, this series is directed toward younger readers, and like number ten I was pleasantly surprised that I loved this series as much as I do. But, then again, I am a huge mythology fan, so this series was the ultimate nerd out for me.
Especially when Artemis showed up.

Oh my goddess when Artemis showed up!
I really did yell out "Oh my goddess! It's Artemis!"
Clearly I do have a favorite.



Favorite 3 Quotes from the series:
“Families are messy. Immortal families are eternally messy. Sometimes the best we can do is to remind each other that we're related for better or for worse...and try to keep the maiming and killing to a minimum.”
― The Sea of Monsters

“Sometimes mortals can be more horrible than monsters.”   
― The Titan's Curse

“Be careful of love. It'll twist your brain around and leave you thinking up is down and right is wrong.”   
― The Battle of the Labyrinth

No comments:

Post a Comment