Friday, December 20, 2013

Awakening Foster Kelly - Review - #10.5 of 2013

Awakening Foster KellyAwakening Foster Kelly by Cara Rosalie Olsen
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars
Published June 26th 2013 by CreateSpace

If only a pile of wayward curls and the inability to stay on her feet were seventeen year-old Foster Kelly’s most pressing concerns. Unfortunately, stubborn hair and clumsiness are just the tip of it. At the age of five when Foster is told, “You don’t belong here,” it was only a mistake, but the result is one broken heart. These four carelessly spoken words have shaped and shadowed Foster, and now—a senior at Shorecliffs High-school—she seeks the wallflower’s existence, denying herself the most casual of friendships, much too afraid that someone will see what she believes is certain: she does not belong anywhere—or with anyone.

This reality would continue to suit her just fine; however . . . Love has a long-standing history of undoing broken hearts.

Like a comet, an unexpected arrival knocks Foster out of the crowded, starry sky, sending her directly into the limelight. Exposed and afraid, she will attempt to regain anonymity; but it isn’t so easy now that someone is watching. He pursues this shy enigma, confronting Foster’s deepest fears head-on, and in the process falls wholly and completely in love with her. But there is something he is not saying . . . a secret capable of certain ruin. Either he will break her heart once and for all, or he will heal it.

In the end, though, it is Foster who must decide if she is worth mending.



I am giving this book the honorary position of number 10.5 in my list of top ten books I read this year. Only because I already made the list and don't want to bump anyone off. As easy as this book might make it seem.

And, really, it must have been meant to be- seeing as how I scheduled this review for today I don't know how long ago, and just recently decided to start counting down my top ten tomorrow. I almost considered postponing a review for it worried that it might get wash out by all the other amazing books I've read. But as fate will have it, it turned out to be one of them!

Now let's talk about the baby elephant in the room, by which I mean; this book is probably the size of a baby elephant. I say "probably" because I read it as an ebook; so the only reminder I had of it's size was the 800 at the bottom with my status bar.
And oh how I hated seeing it.

That being said, you don't actually notice it. I have spent much longer on books half it's length.
One of the many wonders of this wonderful book.

It's so hard trying to explain why I liked it so much, without saying why.
Because that makes sense.
Other than wanting to avoid spoilers, I literally don't know what to call it.

There is no word for what it is. But what ever it is I love it.
It's such a rare thing to find, especially as genuine as this one.
"Genuine" still might not even be the word for it.

I'm going to stop trying to think of words that might not even exist now.


I seen it labeled as a romance, and maybe at the end that is what it becomes, but it is so much more. Sometimes it's like two separate books, one about Foster Kelly and one about Foster and Dominic.

One is Foster finding Dominic and the other is Foster finding Foster.

I saw a lot of myself in Foster. But I what I hide behind a form of boldness, Foster just hid.
Foster is unlike any other when it comes to YA characters. While, yes, many can be described as mousy bookworms or maybe a little insecure or timid around guys, they rarely ever stay that way for long.
You don't end up in a love triangle by keeping to yourself.

But Foster? She attempted, and was quite content, to stay a wallflower even with everyone trying to put her on the spot.
She's kind of the perfect reminder that no one thinks they're perfect, and that we all have some major battles going on within.


The best way I can think to sum it all up is with the Oscar Wilde quote: “To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.”

Because that is the true romance in the story...
...until you get to the end where you start yelling: yes be together!
At least, to take from the book, the dreamers will be.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a great read! Awesome review! I'm definitely going to look into this one.

    ReplyDelete