Friday, January 31, 2014

Hobbit Lessons - Review

Hobbit Lessons: A Map for Life's Unexpected JourneysHobbit Lessons: A Map for Life's Unexpected Journeys by Devin Brown
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Published October 2013 by Abingdon Press

Millions of fans worldwide have been attracted to the Hobbit for its unique combination of high adventure and profound truths.

Tapping the excitement around the highly-anticipated second installment of the Hobbit movie trilogy (in theatres December 2013), Tolkien-scholar, Devin Brown, now presents a fast-paced and easy-to-follow presentation of timeless spiritual messages to help navigate your spiritual journey.
Peppered with illustrations throughout,
Hobbit Lessons offers troll-sized portions of relevance and regular nuggets of good Hobbit sense. The result is a collection of tangible bites of wisdom that are not only deeply moving but also great fun. These lessons on joy, friendship, dedication, sacrifice, and more will appeal to Hobbit fans, parents, teachers, librarians, youth pastors, graduates and anyone looking for a creative way to explore timeless life lessons and important values of faith

I read The Hobbit ten years ago and I have to confess that I barely remember it. The book, I mean. I remember reading it like it was yesterday. Started it on a family road trip to Oregon and Lake Tahoe; I had a picture of Orlando Bloom as a bookmark, which I now realize is a little funny since he ended up in the second installment.
I got a Lord of the Rings bookmark with him later that year, but my nephew broke it in half. That was four years ago and I'm still a little cranky about it. Clearly.


During the first movie a lot did come back to me, I remember sitting in the theater thinking: "Oh yeah that happens." During the second; not so much. It was more: 'Who's that guy?" or "Huh?"

Thankfully Hobbit Lessons is filled with plenty of reminders. And more than plenty of life lessons. Each one as amazing as the next.


I loved the idea of looking at The Hobbit from a different perspective. I never asked myself: "What can I learn from this?"
Honestly my main question probably was: "How much longer?"
At 14 I was more of a chick-lit fan so The Hobbit was quite the leap for me.

But that's true with any book; very few people go into one thinking, or even expecting, to learn something. At least I don't.
The most I can get out of a book is a few insightful quotes.


That's why Hobbit Lessons is so great, it tells you what you might not have been looking for. It's also the first book to tell me all these things and not make me want to throw it across the room.
It's the perfect guide for all of life's "unexpected journey."

Sometime soon when I reread The Hobbit I'll definitely have a different point of view. Who knows, maybe by the end I'll be ready for my own adventure.

These are life lessons that you won't soon forget.

And it's not just for fans of The Hobbit.

No comments:

Post a Comment