Sunday, February 16, 2014

Letter To My Younger Blogging Self

A while ago I started another blog where I write letters to myself and other people. I have since made it private because I stopped writing as much and the last two I posted were kind of very angry.
Not the lasting image I wanted to leave.
I'll probably make it live again as soon as I start writing more letters again. It's always a New Year's resolution write more letters but, of course, it only lasts so many weeks.

As I thought about what I would want to tell myself when I stated blogging I kept thinking about something I wrote during a challenge during the first Love-A-Thon three years ago:

I'm still learning anyway. Still learning that I really need to put myself out there, still learning to devote myself to being more consistent with my postings, still learning that I do not need Dr Pepper to assist me when I write.

That was me after blogging 10 months.



Dear 21 year old new blogger, or Me. Whatever you prefer:
I honestly can't say what is going through your mind with this blog. Sorry to say that that is not going to change.
I'm starting to think we'll never know what goes though our mind when we do anything. If anyone asks; your an artist you don't have to explain yourself.
Hell you don't have to explain yourself period!

In one of your first post you said that you're not sure when you'll feel like this blog is ready. Well, I hate to tell you this but either that moment past and you didn't even realize it happened or almost three years later it still hasn't happened.
I think it has though. I just didn't see it.

I wasn't exactly sitting around waiting.
You're blogging for you I remember that much, and I also remember the promise of not sugar coating anything. Warning: for some odd reason the negative reviews you write are more likely to be found by the author than any positive.
But it'll end well. Thankfully we've yet to have any disputes with authors or bloggers.

You will say some things that will cause people to maybe think you are implying something you're not or have them respond in a way that makes you think they're trying to start something.
But again you're blogging for you, and when you revisit the things you've written you'll find them pretty funny.
Honestly the things that come out of our mind.

It'll take almost three years for you to start all the ideas you're thinking of but you get there. And you'll still be a small blogger in a big pond, but that's alright. You don't need to be a big fish, just take what you've gotten and know that the only way to go is up.
Take it at whatever pace you want, there's no real need to hurry.

A wiser sounding but not as advance 24 year old you.
PS you do fine without Dr Pepper.

12 comments:

  1. That's the hardest part about the internet - there's no way for you to showcase that your comment is meant in jest or is sarcastic. You have to either add something like (just kidding! or, please note the sarcasm), which takes away from the comment. Or you have to hope that the people who are reading your comments know enough of your personality to know you were joking/sarcastic/whatever.

    I'm definitely guilty of deleting a comment that I think might be taken the wrong way, and re-working it into something a little less me, but something that's much less likely to bring drama my way! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I need a disclaimer even when I'm talking to someone in person so yeah I really should watch myself when writing.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I love what you said before the letter that you wrote lots of letters to yourself and others. I always think of doing it, I think I finally should. Maybe even share it on my blog. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend writing letters you can get a lot out that you might not have realized you were holding in. And also say things to people you might not want them ever to know.

      Delete
  3. But Dr Pepper is awesome!!!! I had actually given up soda last year. We went on the paleo diet. I lost a lot of weight and felt great. Then the holidays happened. I am slowly getting back off the sauce (soda, lol)! You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck. When I started this blog Dr Pepper was always my go to when I would sit down to write, I think the only reason I stopped was because I ran out.

    ReplyDelete

  5. "You're blogging for you I remember that much, and I also remember the promise of not sugar coating anything. Warning: for some odd reason the negative reviews you write are more likely to be found by the author than any positive.
    But it'll end well. Thankfully we've yet to have any disputes with authors or bloggers."

    Sometimes disputes are great. It creates a new gateway for dialogue. So whilst still being careful with emotions through writing, stay true to your opinions and views.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr. Pepper is delicious! I like your letter! I also feel like a small fish in a giant pond and I like how you said that it is alright to be a small fish. :D
    Good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always need Dr. Pepper! ALWAYS! Well, at least, I do. ;) Great letter. And make sure you're always blogging for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree about being a small fish in a big pond. There are so many blogs out there that it's hard to stand out, and sometimes you can feel inferior to blogs that have a large amount of followers. But I've always believed in quality over quantity, and if blogging is enjoyable and you speak to only a few people with each post, then it's still worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I honestly think that being honest - in your reviews and other posts - is one of the important things about being a blogger. Being true to you makes blogging feel easier (at least, to me, it does) and it becomes more fun, less work. Plus, people get a chance to know the real you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the "You're an artist, you don't have to explain yourself"! It's a really good one :) And I understand the constant struggle in ourselves. But you are right, there is no race and we can go on our own pace :) :) Great post!!

    ReplyDelete