Saturday, April 19, 2014

Favorite Books I've Reviewed


In no particular order.
1) Common Descent (Darwin's Children, #3)Common Descent by Natasha Larry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm gonna say my reason for not giving it the 5 is because certain characters {cough cough} Matt, would start explaining things that would leave me tilting my head going "huh?" Also contributing to my confusion was the fact that I couldn't enlarge my text so anyone looking over my shoulder would have probably thought I was reading the fine print of something.

The minute I started reading, everything just came flooding back to me.
It stands alone when it comes to other books. I can't even imagine trying to find one that compares. And the characters! There's just something that makes you want to embrace them and never let them go.

This one is different from the previous two, we get so much more from everyone. And get answers to questions we didn't even think needed to be asked. There's also some interesting plot twists in this and I can not see where things go from here.

FULL REVIEW


Awakening Foster Kelly2) Awakening Foster Kelly by Cara Rosalie Olsen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've seen it labeled as a romance, and maybe at the end that is what it becomes, but it is so much more. Sometimes it's like two separate books, one about Foster Kelly and one about Foster and Dominic.
One is Foster finding Dominic and the other is Foster finding Foster.

Foster is unlike any other when it comes to YA characters. While, yes, many can be described as mousy bookworms or maybe a little insecure or timid around guys, they rarely ever stay that way for long.
You don't end up in a love triangle by keeping to yourself.

She's kind of the perfect reminder that no one thinks they're perfect, and that we all have some major battles going on within.

FULL REVIEW

Imaginable (Intangible, #2)3) Imaginable by J. Meyers
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Intrigued! That should be the title for the next book.
Just a suggestion, but I am.
Not only do we get consequences due to Sera's actions in the first book, we also find out more about Luke and Sera's past not to mention the roles Fey, and maybe even Jonas, played in it.
Sera isn't safe, Luke's powers are growing, relationships are immerging, elves, dwarfs, vampires, super humans!

FULL REVIEW

The Making of Nebraska Brown4) The Making of Nebraska Brown by Louise Caiola
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It's books like this that make me wish I had the ability to cry over a book.
I don't. Which is probably worse than crying over any other book.

The Making of Nebraska Brown is an amazing book with a beautifully written story.

I also wish I could call that my review.
It left me speechless and, yet, there is so much I want to say about it.

How I managed to ever put it down I don't know; because I couldn't wait to get to the end and find out Ann Leigh's full story. And it is such a heart breaking story, I really felt for Ann Leigh and everything that she had gone through.
Just imagining what it would feel like to not only lose a part of who you are but also everyone you know and care about. And not even be sure if they ever existed in the first place!

And then finding everything out and having to start over and find your way again.
That's a lot to take.

And I mean that as a reader!
At certain points I kind of wanted to jump in there and help Ann Leigh.

I was rooting for her, I was crying for her (or at least trying to) I was just feeling so much for this one character.

This is one of those books that will stay with me for a very long while.

Why I haven't recommended it like crazy to everyone I know, is beyond me.
This is one of the greatest book I've read this year. If not in my life.



ORIGINAL POST

Cassie Scot: ParaNormal Detective5) Cassie Scot: ParaNormal Detective by Christine Amsden
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Cassie Scot is awesome. She's pretty much the Marilyn Munster of her family and doesn't seem to quite fit in. To be honest I kind of expected that to change by the end, but it doesn't Cassie just finds herself fighting more. Which made me like her all the more.

She's a fighter and doesn't let anything stop her, even though she's fully aware that she has no real way to protect herself.

Escape from Eden6) Escape from Eden by Elisa Nader
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I've never read anything like it before. It's different, it's real.
This isn't a "what if this happens some day, a long long time from now?" It's a "this can, and likely has, happened." Which is what makes it especially scary.
I would have like a little more of a background since we're never really told how these things came to be or how anyone ended up in the community. Although, had I been given further details, I probably might have lost some sleep.

FULL REVIEW

Demon's Grip7) Demon's Grip by Tahlia Newland
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Each book is so different from the previous you can really see how Ariel is growing and learning as she goes up the mountain. And, of course, with each new demon we also learn more about her.

I loved how different this one is, instead of constantly moving around on her journey up the mountain Ariel stays put longer in one or two places and, again, it's another great way to learn more about her.

This one really left me looking forward to the next book.

FULL REVIEW

Branded (Sinners, #1)8) Branded by Abi Ketner
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A few steps short of beyond amazing. This was like nothing I've read before, most dystopias involve characters trying to stay safe from whomever is in control, but this this is the story of the character that didn't manage to do that. But of course she wasn't too safe to begin with.
Lexi is awesome, I love that she is such a strong character considering everything that is thrown at her; she never breaks down and she is given many reasons to do so.

ORIGINAL POST

 

1 comment:

  1. I read the first book Intangible and I thought it was good :) :) Should read the sequel :) :P

    ReplyDelete