Monday, May 5, 2014

It's Monday What Are You Reading?


Some days you wish you can pause everything and just read. Then sometimes when you can finally sit down and read you start on another random project.
Or at least I do.
That's pretty much been my mind frame lately; wishing I could just shut everything off and read and then sitting down to read and having my mind everywhere else.

On a side note I recently met a guy who gave me the 'It's nice that you have time to read' line.
Did not feel like telling him that even if I didn't "have the time" I'd make it.

Anyway since my last It's Monday post- which was about two months ago- I've read:

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
When I finished the audiobook two years ago I said I didn't want to completely blame the audio for my not enjoying it, but having read it I think I can now say, yeah let's blame the audio. Maybe it was the character accents or the pacing I don't know.
I do know books are better read and this one really proves it.

Another problem might have been that I was pretty bored when I started listening to it and even said I wasn't in the mood to sit and listen.
So I'm totally taking back what I said in that original review.

I liked the ending then so this time around I loved it.

I got the third last month but still haven't read the second- not sure how much thought I put into that- but I can't wait to get to them.
Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4)Blood Promise by Richelle Mead
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I thought of giving it a 4 because the first half was kind of slow, and I honestly wasn't too crazy about Rose going off vampire hunting. (There's something I never thought I'd say.) But then the end more than made up for it.




The Traitor's Wife: The Woman Behind Benedict Arnold and the Plan to Betray America
The Traitor's Wife: The Woman Behind Benedict Arnold and the Plan to Betray America by Allison Pataki
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Will post full review later this month.



Raven's BreathRaven's Breath by Tish Thawer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I have to confess that I have a strange fascination with stories about Death. Capitol D. But really it's only strange to the people I mention it to. Some people like vampires, some people like zombies. I like grim reapers and lords of the Underworld. And the occasional angel. Which this also has! Yay!
As much as I enjoy stories like this I don't read them too often, so when I do I'm instantly caught up in them. And this, obviously, was no exception.

The characters are so fun, definitely a bunch I enjoyed spending time with. And wouldn't mind spending more time with in the future. It's such a great new imaginative world. And the way it flows is amazing I just fell into it and didn't realize how far in I was until I had to stop.


The Princess of Sparta (Heroes of the Trojan War, #1)The Princess of Sparta by Aria Cunningham
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Review later this week.






AUDIOBOOKS:

Romeo And Juliet (Bbc Radio Shakespeare)Romeo And Juliet by William Shakespeare
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Mainly listened to it because I decided that I'm going to start trying to memorize certain speeches in Shakespeare's plays.

I kind of thought my opinion would have changed in the almost ten years since I first read it. But then I realized the other day that I first saw the movie when I was 8 so I guess having been exposed to it for so long it is what it is to me.
And I'm not completely sure what that is.

Tempest (Tempest, #1)Tempest by Julie Cross
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'm a total nerd when it comes to time travel.



Vortex (Tempest, #2)Vortex by Julie Cross
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Low 4 since I spent a good majority of it very confused. This thing needs a chart or something.
And it probably didn't help that I had it as audio.




Wanna Get Lucky?Wanna Get Lucky? by Deborah Coonts
My rating: 2 of 5 stars
It's alright but it took forever to get to the point, and it wouldn't stay there for too long.
Also all the brand name dropping and describing what everyone had on, among all the other pointless descriptions bugged me.



READING THIS WEEK:

Second Star Lamb to the Slaughter

2 comments:

  1. OOh Thanks for introducing me to The Princess of Sparta, I hadn't heard of that one before.
    I can't wait to read Lamb to the Slaughter so I hope you enjoy your current reads.
    Here's my It's Monday! Post
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should really continue Daughter of Smoke and Bone & the Vampire Academy series! Hope your other reads exceed expectations!
    My Monday Post

    - Marcey @ Readical

    ReplyDelete