Monday, May 12, 2014

Second Star - Review

Second StarSecond Star by Alyssa B. Sheinmel
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Published: May 13th 2014 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

A twisty story about love, loss, and lies, this contemporary oceanside adventure is tinged with a touch of dark magic as it follows seventeen-year-old Wendy Darling on a search for her missing surfer brothers.
Wendy’s journey leads her to a mysterious hidden cove inhabited by a tribe of young renegade surfers, most of them runaways like her brothers. Wendy is instantly drawn to the cove’s charismatic leader, Pete, but her search also points her toward Pete's nemesis, the drug-dealing Jas.
Enigmatic, dangerous, and handsome, Jas pulls Wendy in even as she's falling hard for Pete.

A radical reinvention of a classic, Second Star is an irresistible summer romance about two young men who have yet to grow up--and the troubled beauty trapped between them.


First things first: this is NOT a retelling, so please don't expect one.
Spoiler: we never make it to Neverland. Not literally anyway.


Moving on.

I loved Second Star. I'm constantly looking for books just like it and only find them every so often, so I'm totally over the moon when I do find them.

And this book?
Sent me over the moon, twice.

I love the story of Peter Pan; strangely enough that's not the complete reason I decided to read this- just partially since someone mentioned the connection to it- but I have to confess that I was never much of a fan of Wendy. And for the first part of this book Wendy kind of bugged me. I considered it a Pro, since she had me feeling the same thing as the original Wendy had me feeling.
But as the story progressed she became real and I found myself really caring for her and hoping that she found her brothers and anything else she might have been looking for.


Now let's talk love triangle: though I didn't really see it that way but I guess that's what it was. I saw it more as a before and after for Wendy; and considering that I started liking her when she went off with Jas I think it fits. Pete is the guy who doesn't really care about growing up and Jas, in the end, wants to.
I would have liked to have seen more moments with Pete and Jas that relationship alone would make a good story.

This book took a fairy tale and reminded us that life is not a fantasy. No matter how much we'd like it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment