Monday, June 2, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


I hit a slump sometime in February but I think I more than made up for it in May!
And that makes me very happy!

I couldn't remember finishing so many books that quickly.

Books read since my last post:
 
Second StarSecond Star by Alyssa B. Sheinmel
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I loved Second Star. I'm constantly looking for books just like it and only find them every so often.
I love the story of Peter Pan; strangely enough that's the complete reason I decided to read this- just partially since someone mentioned the connection to it- but I have to confess that I was never much of a fan of Wendy. And for the first part of this book Wendy kind of bugged me. I considered it a Pro, since she had me feeling the same thing as the original Wendy had me feeling. But as the story progressed she became real and I found myself really caring for her and hoping that she found her brothers and anything else she might have been looking for.

Now let's talk love triangle: though I didn't really see it that way but I guess that's what it was. I saw it more as a before and after for Wendy; and considering that I started liking her when she went off with Jas I think it fits. Pete is the guy who doesn't really care about growing up and Jas, in the end, wants to. I would have liked to have seen more moments with Pete and Jas that relationship alone would make a good story.

This book took a fairy tale and reminded us that life is not a fantasy. No matter how much we'd like it to be.

Lamb to the SlaughterLamb to the Slaughter by Karen Ann Hopkins
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars
I'm so glad that this is going to be a series; because it's one of the greatest murder mysteries that I've read in a long time.

With all the twist and the secrets I couldn't change the page fast enough. And the Amish community! This is not the Amish we meet in Hopkins' other books. I loved the darkness to it, which in reality is just them protecting themselves but I had to ask myself just how far will they go to protect one another.

Serenity and Daniel are the perfect duo I look forward to spending more time with them. And I can't even find the words to describe their relationship.


FULL REVIEW

Secrets and Lies (Cassie Scot, #2)Secrets and Lies by Christine Amsden
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Review Soon-ish





Love Sucks and Then You Die (Eve & Adam, #0.5)Love Sucks and Then You Die by Michael Grant
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I liked the whole what are we in the world thoughts that E.V had but besides that; it's a nice intro I guess. We don't get much from the main characters though, mostly just her mom and the slutty friend.


The Truth About AliceThe Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
The Truth About Alice saved me.
From a huge bug that would have gone in my hair.
Yeah, for that alone I should give it an extra star.

My full review for it is going up later today.


Audiobooks:
Eve & Adam (Eve & Adam, #1)Eve & Adam by Katherine Applegate
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
It might have been a 5 but I couldn't stand her friend Aislin, she was pretty much pointless.
We not only need more diverse books, but we also need less books with slutty friends that always need rescuing.
Other than that pretty interesting story.

The Grapes of WrathThe Grapes of Wrath by Frank Galati
My rating: 4 of 5 stars






If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)If I Stay by Gayle Forman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Why don't you just stick a bow through my heart?
And I do obviously mean the musical bow.

I wonder how long 'til I can listen to certain classical music and not have moments of nostalgia.

Thankfully I listen to so much classical music that my random moments of nostalgia did not last too long.

Reading this week:
 
Where She Went (If I Stay, #2) Mind Games (Cassie Scot #3) The One (Selection #3)
Yes a month later and I am still reading The One, my subconscious doesn't want to get to the end yet and I have to agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment