Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Top Ten Books I've Read So Far This Year

My favorite list of the year. Well second to last week's of course.
So far this year I've read  40 books this year and have been loving all of them.


1) Nefertiti by Michelle Moran
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Amazing as all her other books.


2) The One by Kiera Cass
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I can't believe I almost passed on these books.


3) If I Stay by Gayle Forman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Why don't you just stick a bow through my heart?
And I do obviously mean the musical bow.

I wonder how long 'til I can listen to certain classical music and not have moments of nostalgia.


4) Lamb to the Slaughter by Karen Ann Hopkins
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

I'm so glad that this is going to be a series; because it's one of the greatest murder mysteries that I've read in a long time.

With all the twist and the secrets I couldn't change the page fast enough. And the Amish community! This is not the Amish we meet in Hopkins' other books. I loved the darkness to it, which in reality is just them protecting themselves but I had to ask myself just how far will they go to protect one another.

Serenity and Daniel are the perfect duo I look forward to spending more time with them. And I can't even find the words to describe their relationship.


5) My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'm as obsessed with the idea of reincarnation as Daniel was obsessed with Sophia.
As for the ending: I liked it more than it left me wanting more. If that makes sense. Honestly I'm not completely sure how to feel about it, but I did like it.


6) Blood Promise by Richelle Mead
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I thought of giving it a 4 because the first half was kind of slow, and I honestly wasn't too crazy about Rose going off vampire hunting. (There's something I never thought I'd say.) But then the end more than made up for it.


7) Second Star by Alyssa B. Sheinmel
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved Second Star. I'm constantly looking for books just like it and only find them every so often.
I love the story of Peter Pan; strangely enough that's the complete reason I decided to read this- just partially since someone mentioned the connection to it- but I have to confess that I was never much of a fan of Wendy. And for the first part of this book Wendy kind of bugged me. I considered it a Pro, since she had me feeling the same thing as the original Wendy had me feeling. But as the story progressed she became real and I found myself really caring for her and hoping that she found her brothers and anything else she might have been looking for.

Now let's talk love triangle: though I didn't really see it that way but I guess that's what it was. I saw it more as a before and after for Wendy; and considering that I started liking her when she went off with Jas I think it fits. Pete is the guy who doesn't really care about growing up and Jas, in the end, wants to. I would have liked to have seen more moments with Pete and Jas that relationship alone would make a good story.

This book took a fairy tale and reminded us that life is not a fantasy. No matter how much we'd like it to be.


8) The Making of Nebraska Brown by Louise Caiola
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It's books like this that make me wish I had the ability to cry over a book.
I don't. Which is probably worse than crying over any other book.

The Making of Nebraska Brown is an amazing book with a beautifully written story.

I also wish I could call that my review.
It left me speechless and, yet, there is so much I want to say about it.

How I managed to ever put it down I don't know; because I couldn't wait to get to the end and find out Ann Leigh's full story. And it is such a heart breaking story, I really felt for Ann Leigh and everything that she had gone through.
Just imagining what it would feel like to not only lose a part of who you are but also everyone you know and care about. And not even be sure if they ever existed in the first place!

And then finding everything out and having to start over and find your way again.
That's a lot to take.

And I mean that as a reader!
At certain points I kind of wanted to jump in there and help Ann Leigh.

I was rooting for her, I was crying for her (or at least trying to) I was just feeling so much for this one character.

This is one of those books that will stay with me for a very long while.

Why I haven't recommended it like crazy to everyone I know, is beyond me.
This is one of the greatest book I've read this year. If not in my life.
 
9) The Elite by Kiera Cass
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I love it!

10)Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

When I finished the audiobook two years ago I said I didn't want to completely blame the audio for my not enjoying it, but having read it I think I can now say, yeah let's blame the audio. Maybe it was the character accents or the pacing I don't know.
I do know books are better read and this one really proves it.

Another problem might have been that I was pretty bored when I started listening to it and even said I wasn't in the mood to sit and listen.
So I'm totally taking back what I said in that review.

I liked the ending then so this time around I loved it.

1 comment:

  1. So how excited are you for the If I Stay movie? Great list.

    ReplyDelete