Friday, July 4, 2014

Author Interview: Natasha Larry


And we've reached the end of week one of this summer's author features with Natasha Larry. Before we conclude this week with Natasha's interview can I once again mention how I almost turned down the first book in the series when I got the review request?
I know right?!
 
I'm so glad I changed my mind about not reading it, for whatever reason it might have been.
It's one of the best things I take away from my three years of blogging. That it's been with me since almost the beginning makes it all the more special.
 
So thank you Natasha for not only contributing this week, but for introducing me to these amazing characters that not only have I been following since their beginning but who have been with me since mine.
 
And this concludes my sweet gushy moment.
 
 
 
1. Do you have a set number of books for the Darwin's Children series?

As of right now, no. When I started the series I intended it to be a long running series like the Anita Blake vampire novels. Those are still my intentions, but like anything, that can change. All I know is I’m working toward a certain something in the novels, an event that will decide if the world will look like what the Core stands for or what the Alliance stands for, or both. When I get there I suppose I will end the series.

2. Do you have a favorite character either in other books or one you've written?

My favorite Darwin’s Children character is probably Matt, just because he’s fun to write. I think he rubs people the wrong way when he talks about how awesome he is, but he’s still fun. The one closest to my heart is Haylee and I have big plans for her.

From other books? That list is a mile long. Syd from Summoned by Rainy Kaye. Cas from Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake. Frank Miller’s Batman. Rick Grimes from Kirkman’s The Walking Dead. Hermonie from Harry Potter.

3. What was the first thing you ever wrote about? And how old were you?

I think the first story I ever wrote was about the Loch Ness monster. I might have been in fourth grade at the time. It was about a woman going to find the monster to avenge her dead husband. She stabbed him through the head with a sword that looked a lot like She-Ra’s.

4. Do you have anything specific that inspires you, or makes you think something would make a good story?

I have story ideas all the time. As I’ve gotten more serious about my writing, I usually assume the ideas that stick with me are good. Then I play with it in my head a little, and if it sticks around, I write the opening scene followed by a concept outline. I usually start writing when a great opening line comes to me.

5. What do you enjoy doing when you’re not writing?

Reading. Spending time with my six-year-old daughter, who is just the most amazing thing that ever existed. I love comic books. Movies. History. Good nerd debates.

6. If you could travel back to the past or into the future where would you go?

As I always tell my significant other, I don’t mess with travel. I try not to read anything involving it, or watch movies that involve time travel. They always make me mad. All the paradoxes. I don’t want to travel out of time and come back to find my daughter is a mutant hot dog because I wanted to go meet Abraham Lincoln and ask what was going through his head when he wrote the Gettysburg Address. Not that I’ve ever given it any thought.

7. Night owl, or early bird?

Night owl.

8. What is one book everyone should read?

Just one? Yikes. The Big Awesome Anthology of Every Book Everyone Should Read. Hehe. I’ll let my real answer be The Giver by Lois Lowry.

9. Do you make a playlist while you write or have a certain song that you feel represents the story?

No, but I’m always listen to music. The series title came from the song by Edwin McCain.
I listened to a lot of Beetles and Dylan when I was writing the first book. With the third there was a lot of Lil Wayne. My taste is eclectic.

10. Any advice for aspiring writers?

Read all the things. If you really want to be a writer, this advice should be easy to follow. All good writers are bookworms. Read what you like and write what you like. Read Strunk’s The Elements of Style.

11. Finish the sentence: I do my best writing when...
I start my second draft. I’m a much better rewriter than a writer.
 
 
 
Darwin's Children Unnatural Law (Darwin's Children, #2) Common Descent (Darwin's Children, #3)
Natasha Larry is a writer, blogger, and aspiring JLA member. She’s an urban fantasy junkie and total DC comics fan girl. She resides in Alabama with her awesome daughter. Darwin’s Children is her first novel length work of fiction.


To learn more about the series please visit natashalarrybooks
Twitter: @natashalarry

No comments:

Post a Comment