Monday, July 28, 2014

My Favorite Opening Lines In Meg Cabot Books

Meg Cabot making me ask questions since 2003, although technically I didn't start "questioning" until 2005 late 2004. Her openings might not be intense heart stoppers but they still get your attention by making you want to know what's going on.
I witnessed the kidnapping of Betty Ann Mulvaney.
(Teen Idol).
Who is Betty Ann Mulvaney? And why would you let her get kidnapped?

It was a miracle.
(Insatiable)
What was a miracle? Knowing that Insatiable is about a character that sees when someone is going to die you have to tie that in.

Of course, like I mentioned, since they rarely ever start that climatic the fact that I still think it's gonna go somewhere beyond Meena Harper making her train says a lot also.


They told me there'd be palm trees.
Shadowland (The Mediator #1)

I like the randomness of it. Where are these palm trees? Why would someone need to share that there will be palm trees?


Nobody told me about the poison oak.
The Ninth Key (The Mediator #2)

You tell the girl about the palm trees but not about the poison oak?!
Love that it has that tie-in to the first book.


I can't believe this.
Queen of Babble (Queen of Babble #1)

I originally chose this because once upon a time I would start almost every journal entry with those words.


Anything can happen in the blink of an eye.
Abandon (Abandon #1)

Um, yeah. Love it because it's true. The entire opening of this book is awesome.


Okay, here are the top ten reasons I can't stand my sister Lucy:
All-American Girl (All-American Girl #1)

It's a top ten list of reasons why she can't stand her sister! I'm sure my feelings for my sister were pretty different at the time I first read this but talk about a grabber. Already I'm connecting with the character!


Sometimes it seems like all I ever do is lie.
The Princess Diaries

Look at that it's a teen girl!


Assignment (Due December 8): Here at Albert Einstein High School, we have a very diverse student population.
Princess in Love (The Princess Diaries #3)

First off, it always bugged me in The Princess Diaries when they would go on about the "diverse student population," it's a school in New York I kind of figured that'd be a given. But I always loved reading Mia's random writing assignments; that and all her lists.


 It had been a typical Saturday morning in Brooklyn.
Twilight (The Mediator #6)

Like with number 3, you know something is about to happen that'll change everything.
Or maybe that's because I know where that story is going, in any case we know it's about Suze's past.


In ancient times, weddings were a little more casual than they are today.
Queen of Babble Gets Hitched (Queen of Babble #3)

Like with numbers 4 and 5 I love the randomness.


ME, A PRINCESS???? YEAH, RIGHT.
Princess on the Brink (The Princess Diaries #8)

It's a screenplay of Mia's life, because that hadn't been done yet.


They want me to write it down.
When Lighting Strikes (1-800 Where-Are-You #1)

Like with the palm trees, it opens you up to asking questions. What happened that she needs to write it down?


Other "questionable" beginnings:

Racing up the stairs to the second floor, my heart pounding - I'm a walker, not a runner.
Size 12 and Ready to Rock (Heather Welles #4)

Where are you running to Heather? She works in "Death Dorm" something had to have happened!
(It didn't.)


I'm cold.
Being Nikki (Airhead #2)

This doesn't required an explanation right?
Look at that; a question.


The music is pounding in time to my heartbeat.
The Exterminator's Daughter short story from Prom Nights From Hell.

Is it just a guy or something else making her nervous?


Honorable mention:
My name is Jessica Mastriani.
Missing You (1-800 Where-Are-You #5)

It's the fifth book in my favorite series, no introduction needed Jess.



*This is a repost from last year's Top Ten Favorite Beginnings in [Meg Cabot] Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment