Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Guest Post with Louise Caiola

As I mentioned yesterday, and will most likely mention again, The Making of Nebraska Brown is my one of my favorite books I've read this year so I just had to ask author Louise Caiola what inspired it.
 
But first:
About The Making of Nebraska Brown
The last thing eighteen-year-old Ann Leigh remembers is running from her boyfriend in a thick Nebraska cornfield. This morning she’s staring down a cool Italian sunrise, an entire continent from the life she once knew. The events of the eighteen months in between have inexplicably gone missing from her memory.All at once she’s living with Tommy, an attractive, young foreigner asking for her continued love. Though he’s vaguely familiar, she recalls a boy named Shane in America who she reluctantly agreed to marry. Juggling a new world while her old one is still M.I.A is difficult enough without the terrifying movie scenes spinning a dizzy loop in her mind: glimpses of a devastating house fire, a romance gone wrong, an unplanned pregnancy, and a fractured family – each claiming to be part of who she once was – a girl and a past somehow discarded.

Ann Leigh must collect the pieces of herself to become whole again, but she doesn’t know who to trust especially when Tommy’s lies become too obvious to ignore. And above all, her heart aches to discover what became of the child she may or may not have given birth to.

The Making of Nebraska Brown tells the story of one girl’s coming apart from the inside and the great lengths she’ll go to reclaim herself and find her way home.

 
 
 
 
What Inspired Me to Write The Making of Nebraska Brown – Louise Caiola
 
Many things were inspirational to me when I was writing The Making of Nebraska Brown. Music (typically country genre) brought me a sense of setting – a small, sleepy and unremarkable town where people are born and aspire to leave, or fear being stuck there forever. That edginess to be bigger than your surroundings. The inner-drive to make more of yourself than what you can see around you. These were relevant issues in my mind as I wrote the story, and I attached them to Ann as she began to emotionally grow out of her own skin. In addition, I wanted to write a duplicitous tale, one that existed in two very different places, Italy and Nebraska, and yet was very much connected at its core. The lure of a beautiful foreign land has always been intriguing to me.
The idea of a fractured identity also interested me. I wantedto dig around in the psyche of young person and toy with her sense of self. Somehow this translated into a tale of a missing memory, which required Ann to struggle harder to “find herself” again. I have also always been smitten with the theme of “home sweet home” whether that home be dysfunctional, perfect, or somewhere in between. Even the well-traveled individual will eventually find himself seeking the comfort of his home-base. It is a common human trait and one that I explored in the creation of this novel.
 
Love plays a part in almost everything I write. Yet I never relay it as a faultless entity since it nearly never is. I enjoy twisting it around, flipping it over and exposing the messy underside of love. I feel it is far more authentic when written from that perspective.
As for the mystery aspects of Nebraska Brown, I adore a great cliff-hanger. A giant question mark in a story that makes me have to turn the pages quicker than I want to so I can find out what has happened. I was a Nancy Drew fan growing up and it makes sense that I would inject that admiration of mystery into my own work.
 
In all – there were many factors at hand in the recipe for The Making of Nebraska Brown, as there are for most of the books I write. Though the ingredients vary, the results are usually stamped with my own blend of thematic elements that tend to touch my heart most of all.
 
 
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
As a young girl growing up on Long Island, Louise spent most of her allowance on Nancy Drew mysteries. She soon realized that one day, she might have a story of her own to tell. Maybe even more than one story.
Although motherhood took center stage in her life for many years, Louise went back to college after her children were older to study that which she knew deep down was her true passion; creative writing. She soon began to craft a collection of short stories which were published in the inspirational online magazine, FAITH HOPE AND FICTION.
Shortly thereafter, her first novel, Wishless, a contemporary YA, was
penned and ultimately released in 2011 .
After having her next novel, The Making of Nebraska Brown, picked up by Immortal Ink Publishing, Louise was invited to join their publishing team, where she is now working in editing, marketing  and acquisitions.
In the coming months Louise will have her two-book collection of short stories (Petit Fleurs and Vignettes) released through Immortal Ink. She also has two more full-length novels currently in various phases of production.
She invites you to subscribe to her mailing list to be privy to contests, giveaways and up-to-the-minute happenings.
 
 
Find The Making Of Nebraska Brown and author Louise Caiola

 

No comments:

Post a Comment