Friday, August 8, 2014

The Guardians Books 1 & 2 Reviews

Earlier this week I admitted to not yet having finished this series, it's either number 4 or 5 on the list depends on how you look at it. I think one of my reasons was that it took me forever to find them. It wasn't until I mentioned waiting for the next one that I got a comment (from Lola StVil, of course) letting me know it was already on Barnes and Nobel. In my defense I was putting all possible effort into looking.
But now that I know they're there I'm just waiting for their number on my list to come up and trust me I'm sure when that time comes I will devour them.

Originally posted July 20, 2012
Guardians: The Girl by Lola St.Vil
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars 
Published February 10th 2012

Emmy - a bookish, witty student - is rescued by six teenaged angels with powers, called Guardians. They've been sent to elicit the secret from her before the demons can. Emmy later learns that her name is the only clue to locating a sought-after bridge that for centuries, Evil has plotted to destroy; this would in turn bring about the end of humanity.

Things get worse when Emmy falls madly in love with Marcus, the well-intentioned but obstinate leader of the Guardians. He eventually confesses that he is in love with her as well. Unfortunately, Marcus has been warned by his clairvoyant and omniscient guide that should he and Emmy get together, the mission will fail and humanity will perish.


I did not think I’d like this as much as I did.
And I l liked it a lot. A LOT.

We were getting pretty close to a 5 for a while there, we still might if my mood changes.

Again I wish I could take up video reviews but then, well just no. Best not to embarrass myself.              
And you know make you guys endure me going oh my gods.! {gasp, gasp,} ch-yeah! {squeal}.

It’s really more of a gasping squeal. If I ever figure out a way to spell or just describe the sounds I make after I finish a book like this I fully intend to make it its own point system.


What to say about Guardians… The characters and plot were amazing. The characters beyond amazing; I couldn’t help getting drawn into each of their personalities. They’re the friends you wish you had, or at least I do. Bonus points for being able to protect you with their awesome angel powers.

I had to stop reading for about a week, how I managed to do it I don’t know. All I can say is that it was a good thing I wasn’t too far in because once I got to a certain point I don’t think I would have been able to stop. 
Actually I almost couldn’t, I tried to about three times, but I found myself reading long into the night. (And anyone who reads this blog regularly knows that’s not always a good thing.)

The plot, I’ll admit had a few moments of predictability, but it wasn’t what I expected. It was so original. Even before I reached the end I already wanted more.

Pro: Besides the characters. The flow, the story starts right away and runs throughout without stopping to drone out some explanation. Explanations were nicely intertwined with the story resulting in very few dull moments. Story, story, story, explanation, explanation, story, explanation, story.

Con: The sudden change in point of view, it was like having to reread the whole beginning again, it got a little confusing.



August 3, 2012

This review may contain slight spoilers from Book 1: The GirlAnd by "may" I mean "will' and by "slight" well I'll try not to say too much.

Guardians: The Fallout by Lola St.Vil
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Published July 25th 2012


Just because she has wings,
doesn’t mean she’s an Angel…

It's front page news on every Angel gossip rag:
“Marcus & Ameana: Gone The Way Of “Brad & Jennifer.”
So, Who Is The “Angelina?” Emmy Baxter—a mere mortal!”

Ameana tries to avoid her ex and his new love by focusing
on the other evil out to destroy the team. But soon her pain
turns to fury.

And before the end…a girl plots revenge, a leader is on the edge
and an Angel falls.

You had me at Chapter One.

Yeah I'll admit I was a little hesitant when I saw the narrator this time around. I'm not sure why. I liked Ameana as much as I liked all the other characters, so why not look forward to her point of view?
But that might be the reason I didn't completely love it as much as I did the first.

Now hear me out, that's usually a pattern for me. I'll love the first, kind of lose interest in the second but get it all back by the third. So really we can only go up from here.
And also I'm not one for pining, wondering what went wrong. Well reading about it anyway, I'm probably team captain when it comes to the latter.
I meant that for the real world, but I have to admit after reading The Girl a few weeks ago, I spent a week pining over the death of a character. I reminded myself that if I cried about things I would have. It really stuck with me, the whole book not, you know, just the death ... that was a good week in books for me.



So many sequels just expect you to know what happened, but this one gives so much info and details it was like rereading the first. And I've been asked to review a lot of sequels without any knowledge of the first recently so trust me I know. Like I mentioned in my previous review it flows so perfectly, it starts and doesn't stop until the end.

And that end! I don't know how much of a spoiler this is seeing as how nowadays most sequels end in cliffhangers and the first also had somewhat of a sudden ending, but this one does too.
I know a lot of readers don't like that, especially when we have to wait so long for the next book, but I love endings like that. If anything, to me, that makes the book.

The writing is still amazing, especially the way it changes in point of view I loved getting in Ameana's head  and knowing what she was feeling. I know that's probably a total contradiction to what I said before but it's true. I loved seeing the story from a different perspective, it was like a whole new story that just added so much more to it over all.


This series has quickly become a new favorite, I need to go encourage people to read it so I'll have someone to discuss it with.
 
 
The Girl, the first in The Guardians, series FREE!

No comments:

Post a Comment