Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Click: An Online Love Story - Review

ClickClick by Lisa Becker
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Published March 29th 2011

Fast approaching her 30th birthday and finding herself not married, not dating, and without even a prospect or a house full of cats, Renee Greene, the heroine of Click: An Online Love Story, reluctantly joins her best guy pal on a journey to find love online in Los Angeles.

The story unfolds through a series of emails between Renee and her best friends (anal-compulsive Mark, the overly-judgmental Ashley and the over-sexed Shelley) as well as the gentlemen suitors she meets online. From the guy who starts every story with "My buddies and I were out drinking one night," to the egotistical "B" celebrity looking for someone to stroke his ego, Renee endures her share of hilarious and heinous cyber dates.
Fraught with BCC's, FWD's and inadvertent Reply to All's, readers will root for Renee to "click" with the right man.


Click is definitely a fast favorite. The perfect poolside read. (I wasn't actually by a pool when I read this but I was in a hotel room with a view of the pool.)

I have to confess that I'm pretty certain that my own love story will most likely end with online dating; (I've yet to try it though, much like the main character I'm probably going to wait 'til I'm a certain age, funny enough her birthday is the day before mine so we'll have that in common too) so I was pretty into this story from the start.
Along with the similar birthdays I felt like I had so much in common with Renee I had an instant connection with her and loved going through her experience in the online dating world.

I used to read chick-lit all the time (cough cough Meg Cabot) but it's been some time since I've found one that made me think: "Yes!"

Yes to everything. The characters, the story, the fact that it's all done in email form.
How fun are those? It's perfect evidence that you can tell a story with nothing but dialog.

And making it all the better? It's inspired by author Lisa Becker's own experience with online dating!

No comments:

Post a Comment