Friday, October 24, 2014

Dead Girls Don't Lie - Review

Dead Girls Don't LieDead Girls Don't Lie by Jennifer Shaw Wolf
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Published September 17th 2013 by Walker Childrens

Rachel died at two a.m . . . Three hours after Skyler kissed me for the first time. Forty-five minutes after she sent me her last text.

Jaycee and Rachel were best friends. But that was before. . .
before that terrible night at the old house. Before Rachel shut Jaycee out. Before Jaycee chose Skyler over Rachel. Then Rachel is found dead. The police blame a growing gang problem in their small town, but Jaycee is sure it has to do with that night at the old house. Rachel’s text is the first clue—starting Jaycee on a search that leads to a shocking secret. Rachel’s death was no random crime, and Jaycee must figure out who to trust before she can expose the truth.


A couple of years ago I said that someone should write a book in which almost every single person is accused for the most obvious reasons and title it Red Herrings.
Well Dead Girls Don't Lie came pretty close to that idea.

There is so much finger pointing, that at times it felt more like a witch hunt than a mystery. And the only reason those "witches" were being accused was because they fit a "profile."
Which is such a stereotype.
Which always annoy me.
Another thing that annoys me is characters acting like stereotypes because they've been profiled.

But I guess at the end of the day that's probably more of a real world problem than a book problem, so moving on to the mystery.


The mystery is why it got the 4 stars. The mystery is the story. It grabs you and doesn't let you go until you find out who murdered Rachel and why.
Definitely why.

The mystery is amazing I couldn't wait to see who the actual killer was. It's a great suspense story and if it weren't for those things I mentioned above I probably would have been in love with the entire book.

As it is I did like a lot of it, it's why it got the 4. Rachel is a great character We don't actually get to meet her, aside from Jaycee's flashbacks, but she does end up being a character that I ended up really caring about. Of all the other characters she seemed to be the genuine one.
But that might be because she was the only one not taking part in the "witch hunt."

No comments:

Post a Comment